Hints of another story

Sicar System, Aes Cognis, bridge

When the Aes Cognis fell out of the warp it wasn't alone. The troop transporter with the 67th light Mendor Guard soon followed them into realspace.

Hasthia could smell that captain Feh hadn't fully put behind her past with the dark eldar. The smell of fear and anger clad her like a thick blanket. But she was too strong willed to allow herself to be affected by it. But when the reports came in, Feh's smell quickly changed. And Hasthia worried.

"We are not alone," comm officer Martisson warned them. "Multiple comm echoes around Sicar IV."

"Ships?," Feh barked.

"Yes." Federim responded. "Size of the echos suggests a war fleet."

"Who?"

"I'm verifying the transponder codes. But they are far." Martisson's finger's raced over his controls as he readjusted his comm array. "Imperial! Those are imperial transponders."

"Get me closer," the captain ordered. "I need to see it with my own eyes."

The Aes Cognis burned its engines towards the imperial fleet. The assembled ships boastfully called out their names. But it would still take hours to get close enough to see them. But transponder signal alone verified Martisson's assumption. An entire war fleet or Imperial navy warships hang in low orbit around Sicar IV. And a flotilla of troop transporters sat in waiting.

"We're receiving a long distance request for identification," Martisson called for attention.

Vex stepped forward and placed his rosette into the comm station. A grainy image of a gray haired man appeared with delay on the main screen as Vex accepted the call. Cables and metal sat on his left temples and a surprised smile on his narrow lips.

"Inquisitor Vex? What a surprise. Since when do you concern yourself with the matter of the ruinous powers. Aren't xenos threats more your forte?"

"It is also a surprise to meet you here, fleet admiral Gotendar." Vex recorded his reply. "I am not here in matter of Chaos. I hunt dark eldar raiders. Has Sicar IV been touched by warp taint?"

Vex turned around and addressed the bridge while his message was sent. "Admiral Gotendar and I know each other. His fleet comes to Hader's shipyards for repairs and resupply. Gotendar is a capable and more than trustworthy man."

"Touched?" The admiral's delayed response drew a grimace. "Sicar IV fell into the hands of the arch foe. And we were called to action to reclaim it. A horrible bog of cults, tribes and mutants... Even with their master's shameful retreat, the leftovers refuse to give up their claim on the world." The admiral sighed."Whatever led you here, Vex, I can offer only limited assistance. I can't endanger my operation. Ask too much and I have to decline. But first I have an offer, inquisitor. You offered me meal and company on Hader. Now I offer the same on my proud ship."

"Okay, retinue." Vex showed them a soft smile. "Our next mission is a social one. Prepare yourself. Because fleet admiral Gotendar expects perfection."

Sicar System, Aes Cognis, hangar

"Never again..." Hasthia growled at her dress. It barely fit, rubbed and squeezed her in uncomfortable ways. And it just felt wrong.

"It's not that bad." Sill chuckled out.

To Hasthia's annoyance Vex picked up on Sill's jest. "Next time we'll tailor you something that fits."

"No next time!" Hasthia growled. "I am not made for formal mealzz."

"No, you aren't." Even Cassilia joined in. "But I could teach you."