HTW Part 3

"What the hell is all of the commotion?", asked Cara.

"All of you! Out! Now!", cried the old woman. "Your foolish friend has doomed us all!  How were you even able to enter there?  That room had a force field around it.  It is where I keep all of the artifacts of the dark spirits."

"Dark spirits?  Force fields?" Asked Angela. "You're crazy! What are you talking about?"

"You'll know soon enough my dear—get out!" She exclaimed.

"We just can't take you anywhere." Zoe quipped jokingly, as the left the building.

"What's going on?", asked Scott.

"I don't know." Replied Cara. "Apparently Angela went some place she wasn't supposed to go. That lady in there is crazy."

"I feel terrible." Said Angela. "I don't know why I felt so compelled to handle someone else's personal property. I think I lost her rare pet spider."

"I don't get it."  Said Cara. "So many shelter cats, and dogs in need of good homes. Why would anyone want a spider?"

"Maybe she's an arachnologist?", replied Bobby. Zoe quickly laughed at her boyfriend.

"Ha!", she said. "I'm surprised yo even know that word."

"You're just too cute for words." Bobby replied with a smirk, "I'm hungry, let find something to eat."  With that the six of them got in to the car, and started to look for a diner.

***********

The old woman started to barricade herself in her building.  She began hanging charms form the light spirit all over the place.

Why, thought the old woman. Why didn't I keep a better eye on them? How was she able to enter the forbidden room?  Dear God!  Why did she have to let him escape?

The room itself was full of dark charms, and enchanted items that once belonged to her son. Unfortunately because they had been protected by powerful dark magic, they couldn't be destroyed. All she could do was lock them up in the room, and place light magic charms around it.

Before the girl came, it had worked. No one was even able to see that room, the charms had usually given on lookers the illusion of a blank wall. But somehow she had seen the entrance. There was only one logical explanation for why the girl was able to enter. The drow goddess was dying, and a replacement had been chosen for her.

I defeated Lolth, and my son decades ago. She thought. Although Lolth had been defeated in battle, she had survived. The drow had been weakened, but she had not been destroyed. But why was she dying? The drow had always been the most powerful of the darker spirits. Unless she had given her powers to someone else, but who?

'Hello, mother!", a dark voice sneered. The old woman turned around, as her son stood before. But he wasn't human, and he wasn't in the spider's body that she and the lighter spirits had imprisoned him. All she could do was look upon him with terror.

"You-you're a-a-", she began.

"I believe drider is the word you're looking for." He replied.

"How?", she cried.

"The sweet virgin blood of the songbird, the one with the fiery hair." He replied. "The one who's blood broke my curse, who Lolth herself has chosen to take her place. She chose her because she knew I'd be fond of her. She knew I was looking for a bride. So when you turned me into a spider so many years ago, Lolth gave me her life force. I was waiting for the perfect mate whose human blood could release me from my spider prison. But I hadn't realized how much Lolth had blessed me. I should thank you mother. I am more than a human, I am a drider."