37. Larger Than Life

-Julia-

-Julia-

I was making breakfast for the entire household. It was Saturday morning, and for once, the entire family was under the same roof. Even Jasmine had promised to arrive at ten. The sun was shining brightly, and the snowy yard was glimmering beautifully in front of my eyes when I looked out of the window.

I had to stop what I was doing in shock when I realized that I was humming a silly song while washing salad. I giggled lightly at myself and continued humming. I couldn't remember the last time I felt so relaxed and content. My humming turned into silent singing while I imagined the morning when Jordan would walk down the stairs to join the rest of us for breakfast.

Every morning, I had tried to picture that moment with a weeping heart. Every morning for the past seventeen years I had tried to believe it would happen soon. I had never managed to convince myself.

Not until now. Now it wasn't a dream anymore. It was just a matter of time.

I smiled wider and sang louder the chorus of my favorite song, Bonnie Tyler's I Need a Hero, from when I was younger.

"Mom?" I heard Joyce's amused voice at the door, and I realized I was already singing at the top of my lungs – and I did not care.

I skipped to Joy, grabbed her hands and pulled her in the middle of the room, dancing like I just broke free from the '80s, and I never stopped singing.

"Mom, you've lost it!" Joyce giggled, but she tried to mimic my moves.

"What's going on in here," John chuckled when he stepped into the kitchen which had turned into a disco. "I know that song."

"Of course you know it," I smiled and gave him a hug. "It was playing after our wedding."

"And a lot after that, if my memory serves me right," John said tenderly. "But you stopped listening to it..."

I couldn't stop my smile from turning sad, and I turned my back on them both when I returned to the sink and picked up two of the bowls. I had indeed stopped listening to it when I realized my hero would never come.

I was glad to know I just gave up hope too soon.

"Joy, go get Jamie, will you?" John asked and a moment later our daughter exited the room. "So – how's Jordan doing?"

"It's so amazing. I think he'll let me come see him again today," I chirped in excitement.

"Really?" John said. "That's nice. So, he really became friends with this Blake?"

"Yes," I said, placing plates around the table. "Blake is amazing with him."

"That is amazing," John nodded. "So... He's letting Blake inside his room now?"