Chapter Twenty-One

Cyrus' POV

That ugly douchebag motherfucker was my fucking dad? I took a physical step away from Mom, then realized that brought me closer to Aamon, and took a step forward. The world was spinning.

"What the fuck?" I whispered, looking between them. My mom, looking totally normal in a t-shirt, jeans, and pony tail. My fucking father, wearing literally nothing and leaning up against some dead cats he had strung up on his ceiling like the demonic sociopath that he obviously was.

"It's true," Aamon said, not sounding overly emotionally affected by the situation. "I actually didn't abandon Hell to find Satan's son, although that was a lucky coincidence. I remembered Sofia yesterday, and remembered that I'd made her pregnant, and decided to check in."

"Remembered," I repeated, because impregnating a woman in a realm you weren't supposed to be visiting was totally forgettable.

Aamon realized that wasn't exactly the most empathetic thing to say, and grimaced. "Anyway. I want to make up for my loss. I want to have you here, in Hell, to teach you about magic. It's likely that you'll have a bit of it, although it doesn't form until you are in your twenties. I doubt you'll be immortal. You need a mentor."

"I don't want anything to do with you," I said, trying not to let tears form. Mom hadn't cried. I didn't need to either. I turned to her. "You aren't shocked?"

Mom's face was taunt with emotion, although which emotion it was was hard to place. "I may have been, before meeting Theo. But after Theo, and with all of the oddities that I have noticed since meeting Aamon all those years ago...well, no. It isn't surprising."

Oddities? I didn't want to know.

I gulped and looked at Theo, trying to smile a little. "Well, now you know. He's not homeless. Or crazy."

Mom looked at Theo with a little bit of surprise. "No, you're right. He wouldn't be."

Aamon cleared his throat. "Anyway, boo hoo, cry cry, emotions emotions. Are we done? I would like my son, please. And I will have him. If it means making a deal with Satan's brat, I will have him. If it means threatening the death of this woman I fucked eighteen years ago, I will absolutely do that as well."

Oh no. Absolutely not. I was not going to sit around while this naked asshole said that shit about my mother.

"Are you fucking kidding me?" I burst out. "Say that shit about my mom again and I will absolutely kick your ass. And Theo will roll right over you."

Aamon cackled. "Theo? He's practically a baby, only just got his magic! C'mon, now." Aamon crackled his knuckles and sparks flew. "If you want to fight me for your mother's honor, let's dance. It'll prove to you that you do need a bit of training from your pops."

Theo grabbed me by the arm before I could do anything. "Cyrus, wait. I'll hold him off, you need to get out of here. Go, okay? Go!"

Theo's body burst into flames and I launched away, stumbling into a table and my mom. She grabbed me and dragged me out the door before I could even protest. We left Aamon behind, laughing and calling Theo a giant candle.

"This isn't good," I said, heart racing but mind steady enough to realize that Theo was about to get his ass kicked. And then we were next. "Um. Okay. Um." I ran out of the yard, into the woods that surrounded it. "Ugh. I need my inhaler."

Mom followed, breathing quickly and grabbing at me whenever she could. "We need a plan!" she whispered. We could hear the sound of glass shattering and a faint smell of smoke filled the air.

"I have an idea," I said. "LUCIFER! UM. PLEASE, HELP!"

Nothing happened.

Maybe Lucifer wasn't omnipresent. But also, he was, like Satan. "LUCIFER!" I screamed again. "THEO IS HERE AND NEEDS YOUR HELP!"

And maybe stress was killing me, or my asthma was preventing oxygen from getting to my lungs, but I felt something in the air shift a little. The house went silent.

Mom and I exchanged a glance. "I can't hear anything," she whispered. "I'm going back in, Theo might be hurt."

I blinked, shocked. I was going to say the same thing, but it was touching to see my mom just as invested as I was. The two of us stood up and made our way back to the house. I poked my head through the door to see a huge man pressing Aamon to the wall by his throat. Theo was sprawled on the ground to the side, watching the scene through swollen black eyes.

I ran to him and he smiled when he saw me. "You called Father?"

"I'm sorry, I thought he was gonna kill you," I gasped, wrapping my arms around Theo and resting my head on his shoulder.

I watched the scene in front of me.

Lucifer was naked besides spiraling silver upper arm cuffs and a silver crown on the top of his head. His hair was short and black, body built like a freaking tank. He glanced over his shoulder to look at us and I was struck dumb by red eyes and closely-shaven stubble.

I remembered Jax asking if Lucifer was daddy hot. Yes, Jax. He is.

Lucifer released Aamon and gave him a solid kick to the gut. I felt like I was supposed to feel bad, but I'd only known he was my father for five minutes. And in that span of time he threatened to kill my mom and kidnap me.

"Son," Lucifer growled, low rage burning in his eyes. "You have been irredeemably insubordinate."

Theo's eyes darted to the side, disregarding him. "Father. You have been unkind."

Lucifer gritted his teeth, clearly irritated. He and Theo looked a lot alike, with that expression. "I have not. I reacted in shock—I am allowed shock, Theo. And I hope that you do not feel spurned by me, but I am disappointed in your reaction."

Theo looked up uncertainly. "You aren't...angry? About my announcement?"

Lucifer huffed. "No. Such a thing is not unheard of. I am angry at you for running away like a child and causing me trouble. Honestly, Theo."

Theo smiled.

And I should've been happy for him, I really should've, but I knew what came next. Theo was going to go home to his father. And I was going to have to go home with the new—my stomach twisted—that I was part demon.