ten

THREE MONTHS LATER

THREE MONTHS LATER

I WALKED UP TO THE FRONT door with my hands sweaty, and my heart beating increasing each time I took a step. I felt overwhelmed with emotions seeing the house still stand.

"I can't do this," I said, turning away from the house to face Sam and Peter.

Steve disappeared a couple weeks ago which is why Sam was in front of me instead of Steve. Sam wouldn't give me an explanation of where Steve went, I just hope he's doing okay though. Before Steve left though he introduced me to Sam a few hours after I decided to stay on Earth.

Sam took a deep breath disagreeing with me, "yes you can, Arielle."

I started to crack my fingering anxiously. I glanced back at the house and faced them once more.

"No I can't. They won't accept who I become," I said starting to walk past them to get back into the car, but Sam locked it.

"Sam open the door please."

Peter took in a breath,  "if they love you like I think they do, then they will accept you no matter what you have become."

I stared at Peter, and took in his words. Peter and I's relationship has grown since I've been back on Earth. We know each other a lot better than we did a couple months ago. Our friendship hasn't grown into anything more. Although, I wish it would have, I know that Peter is still grieving with Tony's death and I don't want to add on to that.

Besides that, it was comforting to know that while I've been on Earth I've grown and adapted to my new home. It is different from living in Space that's for sure, but I wouldn't mind it.

"Arielle, I didn't just drive an hour for you to back out. Gas is expensive now," Sam said, crossing his arms.

"I could have called an Uber."

"You asked us to be here when you see your parents though," Peter spoke up as he looked around the neighborhood.

"You could have said 'no'," I remarked, bringing my arms towards my chest.

Sam sighed once more, and rubbed his temples, "Arielle, c'mon what's the worst thing that can happen?"

"There's a lot of things that can go wrong in this situation."

Before Sam could say anything else, I took a breath. "Fine, I'm going," I announced walking past Sam and Peter towards the front door.

I glanced around the neighborhood to see it was quiet. We were near the border of Canada, and the address that Rocket gave me showed me this house. I felt my heart start to increase, causing me to take multiple deep breaths.

Before I raised my hand towards the door bell, I glanced back at Sam and Peter who gave me the thumbs up from afar. Turning back towards the front door, I rang it. I felt the air in my lungs start to disappear. Reaching down to twist my ring I started to feel the need to throw up, knowing that in a few seconds everything could change.