Chapter 39: A Giant of a Problem

Regis and the other Vangen smashed into the Rebel lines in a clash of screaming iron. Those who were unprepared or under armored were cut down instantly, their robes offering little resistance to the Vangen axes and Regis' black metal sword.

The first swipe took a man's head clean off. The second cleaved another clean through. Nearby, the coterie of Centum's surrounding Magus slammed into a group and brushed them aside with their shields as if they were made of straw.

Even Libro was fighting the rebels with a fury Regis had never seen before. He cut into the throat of a rebel too brave or too stupid to get out of the way, his knife coming out the other end glistening red in the sunlight. Wild-eyed, he pressed on, clutching the knife in both hands, his knuckles near bone white.

Regis charged on, cutting a path straight towards the Palace. Most of the First Gate had collapsed in on itself, leaving behind a jagged pile of rubble. That was fine. Nothing that a little climb couldn't fix.

At least, that was the case before a body the size of a small hill emerged from beneath the rubble, swathed tits to toes in black armor. A broad, flat face turned towards Regis, teeth grit in pain as a large hand reached up and ripped a monstrously sized bolt from an equally monstrous sized neck.

"That is one big bastard." Regis laughed, his heart beating to the thrill of a new challenge. Shapeshifters, warriors, and now giants. What would the Ministers throw at him next?

The giant in question stumbled back up onto its feet, clutching at the ruins of Gate Primaris for support. Green and blue bow levies on the parapet's intact portions continued to pepper the monster with arrows. Most bounced off the armor, but a few sank into the giant's exposed flesh, only to pop out a few seconds later.

Regis moved to a relatively clear area and raised a fist, rallying the men around him. He made the finger cant calling for Libro and Magus. They appeared moments later, both looking equally worse for wear. Libro had lost his knife somewhere during the fight, his hands clutched to Vangen ax now. A few more coats of blood dripped from his chainmail. On the other hand, Magus looked like a well-used leather satchel, his pale skin dripping with sweat. His robe was tattered and stained in a few places, though the chainmail glinting beneath still looked intact.

"Why have we stopped?" Libro demanded, his gaze shifting warily over the battlefield. Most of the Centums and Grenadiers kept the rebels busy, the rest forming a circle around the officers.

Regis pointed a finger up at the giant standing before Gate Primaris, swatting arrows out of the sky and men into it. Every now and then, Nox's crossbow would crack the air, spearing the giant with a massive bolt and forcing it back.

"Where in the seven hells did they get a giant?" Libro ran a hand from forehead to jaw, his eyes boggling.

"The Jotan clans may be all but forgotten now, but look hard enough, and you'll find one skulking through the caves of old." Magus ran a nervous hand through his patchy beard. "Tyrannus sure is a crafty one, I'll give him that. One can only wonder what he promised the giant in exchange for its service."

Libro turned towards the old wizard. "Tyrannus?"

"The Dominator," Regis said, remembering the words of Flemendos. "The one who started this whole damn rebellion in the first place."

"And when did you take the time to figure this all out?" Magus demanded.

"Last night," Regis produced the speckled black sword for Libro to see. "When a Minister tried to kill me with this."

Libro could take away enough context to figure out the rest. His face went pale, eyes glassy as he brushed the Archive's spine with a free hand. "You too, huh?"