Chapter 16

Alli's P.O.V

Exhaustion washes over me the minute the event is finished. I can't stop myself from fuming internally, wishing the worst curses on Josh. I sit backstage, reading through a thread on twitter while the guys finish up with their fans. I feel the other side of the couch dip, and I look up from my phone to see Carter.

"Hey Carter. What's up?"

"Nothing much. I just noticed that you weren't out there with us. You know that's okay with Bart right? Even though you aren't technically signed into the contract, we want you out there."

I just nod, ducking my head slightly.

"Are you okay?" Carter presses.

"Yeah. I'm fine. Just been a long day."

"What happened?"

"Just stuff that I wish I could have avoided." There is a long awkward silence. "Carter?"

He hums in response, looking over to meet my eyes.

"Do you ever get that feeling that just when things are starting to look up, it all comes crashing down?"

"Yeah. Not a lot, but I know what you mean. Why?"

"Because I never understood why it happens. I mean, everyone always says it will get better, and it almost always does. But I just get tired of the ups and downs. I wish happiness could just be constant."

"I'm surprised. You always seem so happy, and you never show that you're hurt. If you are..."

"Yeah. But some things just kill you on the inside. And I know I'm probably making a big deal out of nothing, but it truly feels like my life is a scale. Just when the good times are starting to weigh more than the bad times, someone places a brick on the bad side, so the bad weighs more."

"Everyone deals with hard things. I understand that right now, it may feel like you are carrying the biggest weight around. But you're not. And always remember, that if you ever need help, you have 9 new family members that will back you up. No matter what."

I smile. "Thanks. I really needed that."

"No problem. I'm here all week." He chuckles as I hug him. "Now I've got to go for final bows, but let me know if you need to talk more."

"I will." I call as he leaves.

A little twinge from the bottom of my stomach calls my attention. It's always a unique feeling when someone expresses that they care about you.

"Alli?" Shawn peeks his head into the break room.

"Hey."

"Hey. I just wanted to say I'm sorry. You know, about the whole Josh thing."

"Don't apologize. It's not your fault he's a maniac."

"But it is my fault that he keeps coming after you."

"Shawn, he came after me like twice. And don't worry about it. I can hold my own."

"I know. But it's just that I know when things like this happen, it makes you really mad. I just wanted to make sure you're okay."

"I'm fine. Everyone thinks that I'm like broken or something." I giggle. "I'm seriously fine."

"Promise?"

"Promise." He scoots closer to me, and I lean my head on his shoulder.

"Hey. I have an idea."

"Oh god! What is it?"

"How about we go out tomorrow? Just the two of us."

A smile grows on my face. "Sure. Where do you wanna go?"

"I don't know. How about the movies?"

"YES! Can we please see Frozen?" (Just pretend that Frozen's in theaters then)

"Fine. It's not like we'll be watching the movie anyways." I look up at him and he winks. All I can do is roll my eyes. My boyfriend is ridiculous.

**************************************************

✨Edited✨

A/N: Hey guys! I know this chapter was short, but I just wanted to update something for you. I also wanna say that I saw Shawn's first headlining tour yesterday. OMFG he was so good! I love him so much. Anyways, don't forget to comment and vote. Love you all! Thanks for reading.

-SBP