1.2

TWELVE.
a place of refuge

🔹️🔹️🔹️

We all sat down inside the wagon, discussing our plan. The wagon was controlled by a droid which was new -- since Mando didn't really trust them. While the wagon was moving, I held the child in my arms as he slowly fell asleep.

"So, we're basically running off a band of Raiders for lunch money?" Cara asked.

"They're quartering us in the middle of nowhere. Last I checked, that's a pretty square deal for somebody in your position." He replied, leaning against the side of the wagon. "Worst case scenario, you tune up your blaster. Best case, we're a deterrent."

"I can't imagine there's anything living in these trees that an ex-shocktrooper couldn't handle." I said, placing the child down on the wagon. I took off my jacket, tucking him into it as he slept soundly.

🔹️🔹️🔹️

I sighed, sitting up from laying down on the wagon -- I couldn't sleep. I glanced around and saw that everyone had fallen asleep. I ran a hand through my hair as I looked up at the night sky.

"Can't sleep?" A voice asked, causing me to turn and look at the owner of the voice. I gave out an airy laugh.

"Yeah.."

"I can't either." Mando sat up, shifting his body a little to look at me. I turned to look at him, bringing my knees in closer to my chest.

The silence was a bit awkward, but it felt.. better. It was as some of the hatred I felt towards him slowly went away; like we had some sort of connection without even talking to each other.

"What's keeping you awake?" I asked.

"A lot of things." He answered, looking down. "Mostly.. about the Guild, I guess."

"Oh.." I replied, glancing over at the sleeping child. "But you did the right thing. It was for the best.. for the kid."

".. Aren't you cold?"

"A little bit." I said as I rubbed my hands together to keep them warm. "But I'll be fine -- I've been through worse."

"Are you sure?" Mando asked as I gave him a confused expression.

"Yeah, I'm sure," I nodded, wanting to change the subject. "So.. what's your story? I mean.. before you became a bounty hunter."

"I.." He hesitated, looking up at the stars. ".. I was a youngling when my village was attacked during the Clone Wars. Before my parents died, they stored me away inside someplace safe.. that's where the Mandalorians found me."

"I see.." I pursed my lips, looking at him. "That must've been hard on you."

After talking for a bit longer, I was finally starting to get tired. Mando had just finished talking, crossing his arms as he watched me look away from him. I yawned, feeling my eyelids grow heavier. I laid back down on the wagon, stretching out my arms as I felt my eyes start to close.

Just then, I felt something warm cover my body as I began to fall asleep. I peeked open my eyes a little, watching Mando as he tucked me into a small blanket. I closed my eyes -- the image still ingrained inside my mind, drifting me off to sleep.