Chapter 31

"Moira, when did you and Oliver sneak back in?"

"Towards the end of the last video," Ollie said.

Kara Danvers

Kara drove J'onn's car through the mountains, rarely passing other cars on the highway. She kept glancing over at Alex from time to time, but her sister wasn't speaking a word, instead opting to watch the scenery change.

"How bad is this going to be?" Kara said nervously.

"Bad," Alex said.

When Kara saw the trees coming up, she finally managed some kind of a smile. "Welcome home," she said.

Alex just watched the sign for Midvale pass as Kara drove on.

Kara Danvers

Eliza was waiting for them when Kara pulled into the long driveway. Alex stepped out of the car, and Eliza smiled sympathetically, giving her a hug when she walked up. "Hey, honey," she whispered.

Alex didn't say a word, instead heading right into the house.

Agent Danvers winced as she saw how cold she was to her mom.

Kara took their bags, locking the car behind her as she walked up to Eliza. She hugged her adoptive mother, happy to be home, then followed Alex inside.

Kara Danvers

Kara curled up on the porch outside, staring into the dark sky, then pulled out her phone and tapped out a message.

In Midvale with Alex. Don't know how long we'll be here. Call if it's an emergency.

It only took a few seconds for Oliver to respond. Take whatever time you both need. Call if you need anything.

Kara smiled fondly, putting her phone back in her lap, then heard Eliza speak from behind her. "You still out here?"

"Yeah," Kara confirmed.

"I made coffee in case this turns into a teary all-nighter," Eliza smiled, walking to sit next to her, handing her a mug of coffee.

"You don't have to stay up," Kara told her.

"Well, this is in the mom fine print," Eliza shrugged. "When your child's in agony, you show up regardless the hour."

"I like her," Iris said.

"She's the best," Kara and the two Alex's said.

Kara couldn't help but chuckle, remembering when Oliver and Slade had said something along those lines about a month ago. "I figured it would be nice to get her away from everything for a couple of days."

"This is going to be hard no matter what," Eliza told her. "But at least here she can lean into it. Better than letting her pretend she's fine."

Kara blinked, looking at her. "You're worried about me?"

"I think I worry about you more than Alex," Eliza admitted. "Losing Maggie is going to be excruciating, but at least Alex didn't close herself off. And I know you have Oliver now, but I still can't help but worry."

"I'm not doing that anymore," Kara shook her head.

"I know," Eliza nodded. "You have the most wide open heart in the world for other people. But when you felt weak, you punished yourself for it. You've had an awful year – "

"And Oliver has helped me feel a lot better," Kara told her. "I promise. I had my opportunity to be a mess, but I told myself too many people depend on me."