Twenty-Nine: The Competition †

Start from the beginning

"You ready for this?" Verity questioned as we took our sweats and hoodies off.

"Am I heck," I muttered back.

I already had my shorts and top on so all I had to do was readjust my trainers and make sure my hair was secured. I had some water and a little bit of my energy drink before emanating from the changing rooms with Verity by my side. Many of the people from the other colleges followed after us. Ruby was of course, in front like she was leading us to victory. I rolled my eyes.

The relay race had finished at five to three so that left the concluding five minutes before our race to start for us to get in places and check our numbers. I was number three so I was quite near the inside. Verity was row six so she was several people away from me. I sighed.

There had been a huge clock fitted behind the table in the centre of the soccer pitch to accommodate the events and make sure things were running on time and flowing through. Mercifully, it was and I didn't have to wait countless more minutes waiting and anticipating.

I was restless. I couldn't keep still. I clamped my jaw shut and looked out to the crowd. I spotted my parents instantly, followed by Scott and then ultimately, Jason and Lea. Lea was rooting through her bag at the time for something, which turned out to be a tissue when she sneezed, whilst Jason waved at me. Again with the waving, I began to think. I had to wave back.

I turned back in front of me and Coach Kate was ambling in front of everyone. "I want no cheating, and everyone has to stay in their lines. Got it?" she asked.

I nodded frantically.

Just before she could walk off the track, she made her way to me. "Good luck, Tiegan. Just do what you normally do, okay? Pace yourself out over the six laps and when it comes to the final, sprint when you turn the corner. Everyone's watching you," she attempted to speak encouragingly.

I nodded again, waggling my head.

Coach Kate pranced off the track and the adjudicator came to the edge of the track with his sportswear on. He held out the horn in front of him. Surveying everyone, he made sure everyone was in their lane and poised. I had my left foot in front, my right foot back, keeping the space between my feet not too small, but not too large, either.

"Three!" he hollered. "Two!" he bellowed, louder this time. Without saying another word, he squeezed the horn and the noise rippled throughout the athletics grounds.

I started, keeping it as a light jog for now.

Most people would make the mistake of jogging too quickly now and losing half of their energy before the third lap. In this case, there were six so only a few made this mistake. I managed to overtake them by the second lap.

My nerves were still on edge and the trepidation was still coursing through my veins at a noteworthy pace. My mind was clearing with all useless thoughts at the current time like Scott, Jason, Lea and Ruby.

Speaking of Ruby, by the third lap she managed to lead us. I was a close second, and Verity was third. She was about half a lap behind both Ruby and I but still noticeably in front of the rest of the crowd which I could observe through my peripheral vision.

Ruby had made the blunder of accelerating too soon into the event because now she was panting. I was still going at my light jog, breathing in through my mouth and out through my nose. Ruby's cheeks were scarlet by the time I was surpassing her.

By the ending of the fourth lap, I was first. Ruby was half a lap behind me, and Verity even further behind. She had become in fifth place now and I could only hope she would get third or something. But someone from another college was increasing their speed and was hot on the heels of Ruby. I was safe for now. I was still pacing myself, only accelerating a minute amount because of how close I was to finishing. I just had two laps left.