ix. golden

chapter 9 - golden

chapter 9 - golden

The next morning, Dakota made her way through the trees as she headed back to the Sky People's camp. She didn't have a plan yet, all she knew was that she needed to see Octavia.

Her priority was finding a way to see the girl without getting caught by the others. By now, they should all know that she had escaped, and if she were to show her face there again, there's no telling what they would do.

As she approached their camp, her worries soon vanished when she saw Octavia standing at the entrance, looking out into the distance almost as if she was already waiting for her.

Dakota smiled and instantly thought of a way to gain the girl's attention. She took out her sword and aimed it so that the sun's rays would bounce off and reflect into her line of vision.

She knew it had worked once Octavia's eyes squinted and she suddenly furrowed her eyebrows in curiosity as she moved in her direction.

When Octavia came over, she looked around in confusion, trying to find out where the light came from.

"Dakota? Is that you?" She asked, hopefully.

After a moment of making sure no one followed the girl, Dakota finally emerged from the bushes.

Octavia jumped a little but slowly grinned as she turned around and faced the girl.

"I wasn't sure if I would ever see you again," Octavia stated, pulling the girl into a hug.

Dakota hesitated at the sudden contact but soon returned the quick embrace.

"I wasn't sure I'd see you again either. I had returned to my village last night, but I just couldn't bring myself to go in."

"Why? What made you hesitate?" Octavia asked.

Dakota bit her lip. She wanted to explain everything to her right then and there, but this wasn't the place. She didn't want anybody else overhearing the fact that she was a spy.

She shrugged.

"I had a lot of reasons not to. You being one of them..." She murmured.

Octavia immediately smiled as she looked deeply into the girl's eyes.

This was the first time that Octavia really got to see her face since they met. Ever since they first met she was always covered in blood, dirt, and black paint. Now, Dakota's face was clean and she could finally see her features more clearly. She found herself in a trance as she gazed at the way her wavy brown hair fell nicely passed the smooth edges of her cheekbones. She admired every detail of her face and couldn't help but notice the fading bruises that her brother caused. When she finally looked up, she was mesmerized by how the sunlight made her bright hazel eyes even more hypnotizing as if they were golden pools of honey.