Chapter 17

Chloe walks up to the front and in the meantime she fetches a paper for appearances. On the way she wipes away some more tears.

"uh,even though i only knew her a month,i didn't really keep track of time. it felt like we'd known each other for years." she stops. she can't keep talking with a lump in her throat. it hurts so much.

"Um, I can't emphasize my feelings for Beca. So I'm just going to read a poem." She opens the paper and looks at it.

"Um, in my head there are things, lots of things from back then. Your smile and your eyes. Your hugs and your kisses. In my heart there's a place, a place for you, even though my whole heart is yours. It's full of homesickness and love, because I love you. There's a big emptiness now, that emptiness is you. The moment you- the moment you- the moment you-" She wipes the tears off her cheek and breathes in and then out and looks at the leaf again.

"The moment you died, my heart broke in two. One half is now filled with pain, the other died with you. The memories I have of you are the ones that never leave me. Because those memories fill my heart with pain. Um, the last thing she said to me was that she'd always be with me. She went with her hand to my chest where my heart was and--and I'm sorry" she walks out of the church. Tears roll down her cheeks. Her breathing was heavy. She's sinking to the ground.

"Please stop" she says to herself, she can't stop crying.

"Hey, Chloe, it's okay" she hears in front of her. A person's down on the floor and the voice tells her it's Stacie.

"sssshhh it's all right I got you, what you said at the ceremony was beautiful, Beca would have loved it" Chloe leans up to Stacie. That's how they stay put. Meanwhile, Stacie rubs Chloe's arm with her hand. After a while, the crying starts to subside.

"Are you okay?" Stacie asks. Chloe looks up and wipes the tears on her cheeks and nods. They stand up and Stacie puts a hand around Chloe's shoulder "come" they walk down the street while the bell is ringing.

Chloe sits with Stacie. Stacie comes running with two mugs of hot chocolate and whipped cream to the living room where Chloe sits on the couch.

"here girl, the way you like it, a famous sadness drink," she gives the mug to Chloe who grabs it with two hands and smells it.

"Thank you, Stac, I miss her so much." Another tear rolls down her cheek and Stacie sits closer to her and puts her arm around her again. Chloe drops her head against Stacie again.

"I miss her too, not as much as you, can you tell me what you were?" Chloe wipes another tear away

"We were together. No one who knew" A little smile appears on her face as she thinks back to the happy memories she had with Beca. She thinks back to the first day, the first time she looked into her eyes. The first time she protected her. Oh the eyes! Those beautiful eyes she can get lost in if she just looks into them she gets lost in them. And now? Now she sees those eyes only in her memories.

"Chloe? Are you there?" Chloe shakes her head and looks at stacie.

"So, you were gone for 10 minutes" says Stacie. "Yeah, uh, sorry, what was it?" Chloe asks while she takes a sip of her chocolate and whipped cream. They sit in silence for a while and drink their chocolate. Then Chloe sighs deeply and gets up.

"I'm gonna go. I need to be alone for a while if you don't mind." She walks away and Stacie gets up and chases her.

"are you sure?" Chloe's putting on her coat

"Yeah, thanks for everything. I'll talk to you later."

Before Stacie can say anything else, Chloe walks out the door and closes it behind her. She walks and walks, thinking about the night. Thinking about Beca, thinking about her father. Nothing happened, no jail time, nothing. A tear runs down her cheeks.

It's starting to get darker. Chloe walks to the place the only place she can think, be alone. The place Beca took her on her first date. A tear rolls down her cheek every time she thinks about Beca. She thinks about the life Beca would get. She wanted to go to LA to be a music producer. And now there's nothing left. She'd stay with her. Now what? Now she's gone, and she's not coming back, no matter how badly you want it, no matter how badly everyone wants it.... She's gone, the funeral's over. She's gone. She's not coming back. She still can't believe it. Taken from life far too young.

The sun goes down and Chloe looks at it while a tear runs down her cheek. She watches the lights in the city go on. She sighs.

"Beca if you can hear me. I can't. I can't do it without you. You were just here. I love you. I wanted to spend more time with you. I love you. I miss you so much." She wipes a tear and sighs. Then she hears something in the bushes. It's getting closer. She's getting up. She's beating faster. A shape is running towards her.

"Did you think you'd get rid of me?! Now she's gone there's no one to protect you" he points his gun at Chloe. She keeps her eyes closed. And then bang......