Chapter 5: Spot Conlon

ابدأ من البداية

"Yea, it's a mouth. But a mouth with a brain." Jack said, clapping my back as he walked to my side.

"You 'er boyfriend or somethin'?" Spot asked Jack as I almost choked on air as I looked at Spot.

"Trust me. I'm helplessly single." I joked as all the boys let out a chuckle.

"Where do you pick up the girls, Jackie boy?" Spot asked him.

"It's more like she came to me." Jack said, smirking as I punched his arm. "Ok fine. She met Mush, Racetrack, and Kid Blink one day and the four started to hang out a lot. She then started to hang out with us, helping me sell the papes, and next thing you know, she's a Newsie." Jack told Spot.

"Yea, where your parents then?" Spot asked, mocking as I looked down before looking back at him, glaring which shocked him.

"Dead." I snapped. "Died in a house fire." I told him, more calmly.

"Spot, if you got half of one, you'll listen to what she's gotta say." Jack said to Spot as he sat down on a crate, looking at me as I noticed the Brooklyn Newsies all looking at me from behind.

"The Manhattan Newsies started a strike, but we can't do it alone. So, we're talking to other Newsie boroughs from around the city." I told him.

"Yea, so they told me. But what'd they tell you?" Spot asked me.

"They're waiting to see what Spot Conlon is doing, you're the key. I hate to admit it, but you're the most respected and famous Newsie in all of New York, and probably everywhere else. If you join the strike, the other boroughs will join and we'll be unstoppable." I told Spot as Jack smirked at me, liking my wording.

"So you gotta join us beca...well, you gotta." David said behind me as I mentally groaned.

"Well, you're right, Jack. Brains." Spot said, looking at me. "But I got brains too." Spot told us, standing up. "And more than just half of one." Spot said, pointing his cane at me as I used the back of my hand, pushing it out of my face.

"How do I know you punks won't run the first time some goon comes at you with a club?" Spot asked, walking up to Jack. "How do I know you got what it takes to win?" he asked, now looking at me.

"Because I'm telling you, Spot." Jack told him.

"That ain't good enough, Jackie boy." Spot told him, turning around. "You gotta show me." Spot told him. "Until you can, Brooklyn is out." Spot told me as I sighed.

"Sorry, doll." He said, smirking as I rolled my eyes.

"The name's Flip, use it." I told him.

"Flip, come on. You don't want Spot Conlon being angry at you." Jack joked as I walked up to him.

"See you, Manhattan." Spot said as me, Boots, Jack, and David walked back onto the dock.

"Until next time, Spot Conlon." I said, smirking as I turned around to look at him.

"Until next time...Flip." He said, also smirking as he also sent me a small smile.

"Flip!" Jack exclaimed as I looked at him. I quickly sent the small smile back as I ran after my friends.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Flip!" Blink exclaimed, messing up my hair as the four of us walked up to the other Newsies.

"Flip, Jack, so where's Spot?" Race asked us.