Chapter four

"What's wrong?"

"We said we were going to beat up Haley" Says Caroline.

"Haley?"

"Yeah, the flabby girl with glasses that's in the chess club"

When did Haley start being in the chess club? In my memory, she's still one of Caroline's evil minions.

"Why?"

"Are you kidding? You said so. We gotta beat up someone weekly to keep the status quo. It's the show."

"What? It's ridiculous. Do you agree with this?"

"Of course I do. What's going on with you?"

Apparently, none of Caroline's versions is good.

"Well, I changed my mind. Nobody is gonna beat anyone without a reason. Now I have to go to class"

"No! You're coming with me"

Caroline drags me to the middle of the cafeteria. Everyone is looking at me. There's a circle of girls of the team and Haley it's in the centre of it.

The 'Haley' I remember could describe itself as scary, evil, hollow and bloody-minded. This one looked more like harmless, innocent and scared.

She's wearing a sweater with a shirt under it, dress pants and shoes that I would call masculine. Everything in cream color range. She's using glasses. How is it possible that in a world where everyone has their gender changed someone also has vision problems?

Maybe the other Haley wore contact lenses.

Her new version looks nicer.

"Please! Don't hurt me! I promise to do your homework next time" she begs.

The other girls immobilize her and put her in front of me.

The whole cafeteria is in silence.

They look at me.

They're waiting for me to do something.

What do they want me to do? To beat her? That's not gonna happen.

Caroline realizes I'm not going to do anything so she pushes me, takes the place I was standing before, and starts beating the girl herself.

Oh God.

I'm in shock.

Everybody celebrates and flips.

What the hell?

"Caroline! STOP!"

The cafeteria remains in silence again.

I guess now that I'm like a man I have a voice.

She stops and looks at me.

"What?"

Haley is bleeding from her nose.

"This costum sucks! No one is beating anyone else with no reason again!"

If I tried a little harder, I could hear the wind banging against the tree leaves 'cause the whole room was completly silent.

The girls let Haley go and she runs away.

The bell rings.

---------------------------- ○ --------------------------

Classes pass quickly. I chose to sit alone for the rest of the day. Detention arrives with the end of it.

I send Luke a text letting him know I'm gonne go home later and get in the room I had recognized as the room for bad-behavied kids. I once came here to pick Johann up.