chapter 1 2/2

Mark nudged me, "wake up."

my head shot up, and i rubbed my eyes, "Thanks."

Mark smiled on my right, and i looked up to see the town pastor--ancient as he was--finishing is sermon for the funeral. i sighed, remembering how stupid my final words had sounded. i'd started to break down a little, and i could barely get a word in. Mark had to pull me down because my drunken-sobering state was so pathetic, most of the townspeople began to whisper and shake their heads.

"ashes to ashes, dust to dust" the pastor croaked, throwing hallowed earth onto the coffin.

i stared somberly at the coffin, watching as the caretakers buried him, and didnt pull away until every inch of the coffin was covered with loose earth. i turned around and rubbed the aching back of my neck, over to mark who sat broodily on one of the last folded black chairs.

"let them clear up now Mark." i said,

Mark got up silently and followed me out of the musty graveyard. we each loosened our ties as we fell in step, and walked along the old cobblestones back towards the hamlet, then on to the old stone house. before we left, i had to decide what of my grandfather's things i would take with me, as everything had been left to me in his will.

"what d'ya 'spose i should take with me?" i asked Mark,

"the alcohol." he laughed darkly,

"seriously Mark."

"okay, howabout we look through the basement? just take anything that means something to you."

"sounds good." i said, slotting the key into the door.

it opened with a feral creak, and revealed a dark dusty home, neatened and left neatened some time ago. i pulled a white sheet off from a dark velvet chair, Grandpa's favourite chair, and eventually mine. i recalled all the stories of knights and kings that he told me, expecially my most and his least favourite story, about vampires.

he'd always start off by sitting me in the chair, then propping himself up on the foot stool opposite. the fire was always glowing, warm and crackling, as he started off the tale; 'Turn off the television -- in fact, why don't you turn off all the lights except for the one over your favorite chair? -- and we'll talk about vampires here in the dim. I think i can make you believe in them.'