-7-

POV: Fendrel

There were nine going on the mission. Even though Oliver was not an official volunteer, they still counted him as a part of the search party. Cloud and Fog provided rations, but decided they would mainly be for Thea, Oliver, and Fendrel. The dragons would eat whatever the area provided for them.

Thea insisted on joining even though she had no idea what Fendrel and the dragons were saying to each other.

Oliver wished to see their quest to the end but was told by Cloud he wouldn't be able to stay the whole time. He was only a child and needed to be brought somewhere safe, though Fendrel had no idea where that would be. He knew Oliver wouldn't be better off dead than with his uncle, but life on the streets was inevitable for any orphan or runaway.

The company of nine were gathered around the table in the great hall.

Cloud opened his wings part-way, and the nobles quieted and looked at him. "Excluding the child, there are eight of us here. I think we should split up in teams. The Liberator and his companions can join me."

Venom lifted his wings, a sign of asking permission to speak.

"Yes, Venom?" Cloud answered.

The dusk dragon lowered his wings. "May the Liberator and his companions join my group instead? If the rogue dragon he mentioned last night attacks again, he'll need someone who is experienced in combat."

Fendrel doubted that was the real reason, but it was a well-thought out excuse.

Fog's eyes brightened. "If you get hurt, you'll need a healer. I'll go with you!"

Gemstone, Crystal was what Fog called her the night before, slammed her club tail on the ground. Her glare was set on Fog.

The vapor dragon curled her tail around her paws, winding like a snake up a tree. "I'm sorry for speaking without being granted permission. I would like to go with Venom and the humans, if that's all right with you, my king."

Crystal nodded in approval but didn't seem to notice the embarrassment on Fog's face.

Cloud was mildly surprised. He scrunched his brow and exhaled heavily. A trail of mist escaped from his nostrils. "I would like to keep the humans together. Now you two want to accompany them. That's four, excluding the child, which leaves four left to be grouped."

Crystal raised her wings. Cloud didn't notice until she shook them to get his attention.

Cloud's eyes blinked with rapid fire. "Er, yes?"

The gemstone dragon lowered her wings. "I suggest that the noble of ice join my team. I feel the tribes used to terrestrial travel will fare better together while the flyers can travel amongst each other."

"That sounds good to me, and air may go with His Highness. My group will stay west. The middle requires a lot of flying, so I believe it would be best for Crystal and Caribou to travel east." Venom gave Cloud an encouraging look as he said this.

Cloud caught the older dragon's signal and nodded approvingly. He looked at the assembly. "Are we all in agreement?"

Venom, Fendrel, and Crystal nodded their heads immediately.

Fog exuberantly agreed. Ice, Caribou, and Flight followed her lead with a bit of hesitation.

Thea nervously walked to Fendrel and tapped his shoulder. "Hey, uh, what was all that about?"

Fendrel pointed at Thea, Oliver, and himself. "You, Oliver, and I are going with the dusk dragon and the feathered vapor dragon."

Biting her lip, Thea eyed Venom. "He looks kind of scary. Have you seen his fangs?"