Chapter eleven: Kaithlyn

“No one really knows why they are alive until they know what they'd die for.”

― Martin Luther King Jr.

Kaithlyn didn’t think she would be able to run so fast. She didn’t think she would forget to feel pain or even to think, but she did. The crushing fear made her do that and the only thing that rushed through her fearful thoughts was that she needed to run, and to keep running.

Caleb, who was well trained, because he did so many sports and he sported more than everyone of them. She could hear him breath, but that was probably just an illusion. The creepy song played itself over and over again and resounded against the walls. It was really confusing and it was looking like it came from everywhere, but it just got louder – but that could also be her imagination - ,  like the killer was coming closer. Kaithlyn didn’t dare to look after her, to see if the killer really was there, because she knew that that would cost time. Time that she didn’t have.

The stairs were close and this was the most dangerous and tricky part, because the stairs were slippery and running on them, could make you fall. Kaithlyn knew that if she fell, the killer would probably get to her and kill her.

Caleb opened the door to the stairs and pushed the door, which automatically closed itself behind students, so hard that Kaithlyn could get to it and run further. Kaithlyn also pushed the door and ran on the stairs. She could only hope two things: that if she fell, her friends wouldn’t stop to help her and that the doors weren’t locked yet, because every night on of the teaches closed the doors and locked them, so they couldn’t get out, and the killer couldn’t get in. If the doors were shut, they were trapped.

Kaithlyn heard footsteps on the stairs. The ones of her friends and the ones of the killer. Now she thought more, she could feel her tired body, but she didn’t stop running. Caleb was a couple of meters before her, and that motivated her to run further. They were arrived at the second floor. You needed to get out of this cabin, to ran to the other cabin, if you wanted to go to the first floor.

Kaithlyn’s breath speeded up, as she made a sprint. She was now close to her friend, who also ran tirelessly. Now Kaithlyn was sure that hearing him breathing was really her imagination. He didn’t make any sound with his mouth, he only looked forward and ran.

‘Where do we go?’ Kaithlyn gasped.

‘I – don’t – know.’ Caleb wasn’t speaking at the speed he talked on normally. This was the first clue of him being even human.

Kaithlyn heard her friends coming closer, as they made a sprint. But she also heard the song, who was now in the chorus. They came to the stairs and Caleb opened the door, what cost a lot of time. The killer came closer. And closer, and closer.

They ran again. Kaithlyn didn’t believe in anything like a god or something but now she prayed and that was so stupid for her that she felt hopeless. She prayed to something she didn’t even believe in. There must really be something going on with her. She must be devastated.

A teardrop came out of her eye, like it had been there for a long time. Her life wasn’t supposed to be like this. She was suppose to sleep in her bed, but she didn’t. In fact, she was running from a killer. Why was she in this creepy game? Why didn’t she just skip school for one day?

Running became harder every second, but every second counted. Every second could make an end to her life. Why did the killer do this? It was useless. Why would you kill pure teenagers, who probably never did anything wrong. What revenge did he wanted to get? The questions were foolish and she wished her thoughts were silent for one second, or two. She wished she could go back to the time she couldn’t worry, or the time that she didn’t need to.