Chapter 14

Long after Dr. Silverz left, Nora still couldn't forget his words. Even worse, Declan made no further appearances. Two weeks passed without a peep from him. Sure, he left her little messages a few days and then flowers the next, but never physically showed up. Maybe his work had finally caught up to him and he no longer had the luxury to visit.

Part of her was glad to not have to confront him while another part of her feared seeing him again. Because in the end, Dr. Silverz was right.

She selfishly kept Declan around for her own comfort and he didn't deserve that. He showed how much he had matured since they first met. In fact, he behaved better than Nora, who still acted like they were bickering enemies.

All the proof she needed of his maturity was shown during the dinner party. He didn't have to defend her. Declan could've very easily tossed her to the wolves, but instead, he kept both their dignities intact. And even if he didn't do it for her sake, at least he did it to protect Denora.

And wasn't that the most important point? All they did was to protect Denora. The world had nothing better to do than gossip, and their daughter would be the biggest canister of fuel to their flames. A baby didn't deserve that, even if she didn't understand it.

Besides, love was just an excuse. While she wanted a marriage with it, Nora just didn't have time to fall in love. Declan wasn't in love with her, that much she could tell. But he did feel something for her—just as Nora did for him. The night in his car after the charity dinner was a prime example. She knew Declan could easily provide affection, both to her and Denora. But the question was, would he want to after learning her past? He would know she was a hypocrite...and dirty.

Declan had scars that he overcame. He wore them with pride. But Nora's scars? None existed on her body, but they haunted her to this day. She still hesitated to look at herself in the mirror--at least without her mask on.

Would he still want her? Would he lose any respect he had towards her? What if he changed his mind? Then she could finally be rid of that god expensive ring. The last time they saw each other, she was too distracted by his kisses to give it back to him. It rested atop her jewelry case, still in the pouch given by Gloria O'Good.

The very same woman who stood in front of Nora right at this moment. She had come back to the Animal House, along with her cat, Mr. Polka Dot. Their appointment consisted of another grooming session, to which Gloria insisted on staying and observing. Grant was assigned to perform the duty, but Nora volunteered to do it in his stead so he didn't have to be under scrutiny.

"The last we saw each other was at Dr. Silverz's charity dinner," Nora said, trying to strike up a conversation to fill in the silence.

"Yes. Dr. Silverz certainly knows how to organize a party. The animals were a nice touch."

Nora sighed in relief, glad to have garnered a response from the stoic woman. However, they were once more left again with a stale silence in the room as Nora performed the cat's grooming.

"Did you accept the proposal?"

Nora was taken aback and stuttered, "E-excuse me?"

Gloria took no offense. "From Declan Bishop. At the party, he said you hadn't given him an answer yet."

She hesitated. "No. I'm still undecided."

Her answer earned a haughty sniff from the older woman. "You shouldn't leave him waiting too long. Before you know it, he'll be snatched from under your nose by another woman." Before Nora could reply, Gloria added, "Besides, you have a child with him. You have to consider marriage for your daughter's sake as well."