Chapter 34.

A silent trip it's been. Not that there's been any difference. It had been a while since we've held a long conversation in a trip until we arrived at our destination, so imagine my surprise when dad pulls over, just at a clear distance from our home and starts speaking.

" Sweetheart, we can't go in now without me having to ask you something." He says, turning to face me.

"What is it?" I ask.

He sighs." That night -"

" Which night?"

" Can I finish?" He quickly says, his tone a bit demanding that I'm taken a back by it. "Sorry, sorry. That night that you and Sophia only seem to know about." I tense then.

"Can you atleast tell me what happened that night?" I have to blink a couple of times, letting his question to sink in and for me to dig deep, into my thoughts and memory of that night.

He's never asked me this. It's the first time he's wanted to know something without waiting for me to confess or tell him freely.

"W- why do you want to know?" I cant help but ask.

"Please just tell me. I want to understand..." He stops himself from finishing and I'm left curious about what he wanted to say.

I watch him close his eyes for a moment before looking at me again. I turn away from him, taking a breath and willing myself to think about that night. " That night..."

"That night." He encourages.

"That night I - ," I freeze in place for a few seconds when all of a sudden, all thoughts turn blurry and I can't exactly pin point what happened or the night's details.

" I dont know." I mumble to myself, feeling confused and freaked out a bit.

" What did you say?"

"It's a blur, dad, it's a blur! " I turn to face him, where he's watching me with concern in his eyes. "Why cant I remember the full details....I -I dont understand. I'm suppose to remember everything but I cant. How is this even poss - ," I find myself rambling in my panick.

"Calm down sweetheart, calm down." He says, taking my hand in his, planting a kiss on it as his other hand touches my face.

"But - "

" Forget about what we were just talking about for now. It's okay if you dont remember now, you've just been to the hospital and you are exhausted. Dont overwork your mind. Relax."

All I do is look at him, though in my mind, I'm trying to figure out what's going on.

" Hey, hey, relax." He says again and I nod.

"Okay." I say, nodding.

I just need to know what's going on with me and where my head is at. I dont feel in control of myself and that is getting scary, to experience.

"Lets forget about this conversation for a while and think of something else. Like the surprise that's waiting for you at home."

" Surprise?" I ask with a frown.

" Mhm." He nods with a small smile.

He starts up the car again and drives on, having lighten up the mood with the change of topic, though at the back of my mind, I cant stop thinking about what just happened now.

"My baby!" That's the first thing I hear when we enter into the house before I'm pulled into a hug.

"Hey grandma." I say, returning the embrace.