THREE

LETHAL
CHAPTER THREE

( MUTED )

— ☾ —

Alex scoffed as she walked alongside Stiles and Scott to the lacrosse field. She glanced at Scott. "Of course you're still the team captain. You got your grades up just like Coach told you to, right?"

Scott glanced at her. "Yeah, but he never told me I was back on the team. He just told me to show up to tryouts today."

"We've got bigger things to deal with anyway." Stiles cut in. "Did you tell Argent yet?"

"I texted him but he didn't get back to me." Scott responded, blowing out a breath.

Alex frowned. "You told him his sister, Kate, came back from the dead over a text?"

"I didn't have the money to call France." Scott replied, glancing between Alex and Stiles.

"Yeah, you think you got money problems?" Stiles asked. "Try paying for an MRI and a visit to Eichen House."

"Another notice?" Alex asked with raised eyebrows.

"Yeah, this one said 'final'." Stiles blew out a breath. "What the hell are we even doing here anyway? We've got like one hundred and seventeen million problems, and worrying about our status on the lacrosse team is not one of them."

Alex huffed a chuckle as she noticed a freshman on the field. He was catching all the balls that were thrown at him. "It is now."

Scott and Stiles glanced at the freshman with a frown.

"Who the hell is that?" Stiles' frown deepened.

The freshman took off his helmet.

"Nice, Liam." A student, Garrett spoke. "You might just be our first ever freshman captain."

"Okay, maybe we should just practice a little bit..." Stiles muttered as him and Scott began to walk on to the field.

"Good luck, boys." Alex called after them, Stiles giving her a thumbs up as he continued walking.

••••

"Hey, Liam." Stiles spoke from inside the locker room, Alex listening from outside it. "You wanna explain what that was out there?"

"What do you mean?" Liam frowned, confused.

"That little display." Stiles replied. "Your little circus act."