Chapter 1: Battle for Rollnir- Part 5

Cold rain pelted against Valla's skin, the night was dark and unforgiving. They had been riding nonstop for almost two days and getting close to the capital. Valla and her guards hadn't run into any trouble, maybe they could make it to their destination. Lightning shot from the sky, for a split second she could make out the terrain and could see rocky pass up ahead which would lead straight to Rollnir.

    Valla and her guards made camp at the edge of the rocky pass and prepared for what came next. They decided against making a fire due to the rain and trying to stay hidden from enemy scouts.

    As Valla closed her eyes to sleep, she slipped into the cosmos and awoke. She realized she was back in Koradia. Valla got up and went outside her tent, she couldn't believe what she saw. Her people looked happier than she had ever seen them. Ivar her nephew was wielding the power of the gods and manipulating water making farming easier. Frey, Valla's sister was teaching children about the gods and the power we had been given. Valla felt joy and a sense of fulfillment, she knew this was what the Obrak were meant for. She spent the whole day watching people perform amazing feats and show an understanding of nature like never before. As the day ended her people gathered and Valla stood before them, "This Natural magic that the gods have given us has helped us achieve something we did not think possible. We must continue to strive to understand it more, we must use it to better ourselves and learn the secrets of the gods. This is the pathway to true balance and serenity".

    Birds chirped and the sun was coming up, Valla opened her eyes and recalled her dream. Natural magic, is that what Vida spoke to me about? Is this what the future holds for the Obrak people? Seeing how happy and successful her people were brought even more hope to Valla. Now all she had to do was finish her mission.

    They started their descent down the rocky terrain and finally, the capital was in sight. Rollnir was shaped in a large circle filled with tents and had a massive fire pit in the middle. Valla had never seen it before, Rollnir was hidden away under The Great Mountains. Trade and communication was difficult because of war and how far their capital was from the other tribes. This was both a strength and weakness of the Rollnir capital. It allowed them to be independent and create one of the most powerful military tribes having little competition for resources. But, being so isolated the Rollnir didn't have the societal and technological advances the rest of the Obrak people had.

    As they got closer Valla realized in the simplicity of the capital there was a subtle sense of beauty. Though the city was more primitive, it allowed Valla to feel the presence of the gods strongly. Being in nature or in what she liked to call true ground, in other words being as close to what the gods created without human interference, helped forge a connection to the gods.

    Once they were about one hundred yards from the city riders came out to meet them. The lead rider spoke, "Ah if it isn't the Tock to rule them all, we were expecting an army to show up at our door. Nothing bad happened I hope". He and his riders laughed. "What are you doing here", he lowered his spear to Valla's chest and his men followed.

    "I've come to speak with Tock Domeric and nothing more", Valla spoke as she motioned to her guard not to interfere. After the unexpected attack on her war camp, she hoped the Tock would at least allow an audience. The guards agreed and they started off into the city's interior.

    Everyone in Rollnir had their eyes on Valla, she could tell the war had taken a toll on its people just like it had hers. War is a plague that affects everything, from people to nature and even the relationship we have between the two, Valla thought to herself. I have fallen, just like my forefathers, into war. The Obrak culture is centered on balance; the balance of oneself, with nature and the gods, and with one another. War is the cause of destruction and knowing what is right and wrong. The rules of nature are broken when war comes. Therefore, Valla must stop it here and now, this was her chance to stop war forever between the Obrak people.

    They reached a large tent after walking for about fifteen minutes with writing on it. Valla recognized it as Old Obrakin, a language that hasn't been used in well over three hundred years. Its said, "House of the gods and their chosen", this was a common phrase for temples dedicated to the gods. The Rollnir escorts went to either side of the tent entrance and said, "Tock Domeric waits for you, your guards must wait outside".

    Valla walked in noticing two wooden statues depicting Vida and Kolemar along with a fire in the center of the room. Facing the fire sitting down was a shirtless man, he was large and muscular with scars running down his back. He had long black hair that was braided, and Valla saw a double-edged ax at his side. The man was obviously Domeric, they had never met, she knew him only by reputation. He was expecting her because as she walked in, he stopped whatever it was that he had been doing.

    Domeric slowly turned toward her with a smile, it looked sincere, but she sensed a hint of sorrow behind his eyes. He spoke softer than Valla would have expected, he said, "Finally you made it, I've been expecting this visit for weeks".