forever family//e.d

Start from the beginning

Brynn watched him sit on the edge of the bed and she waited behind the curtain. "Everything okay?" He asked, voice soft. Brynn peaked her head out. She was cold, actually, really cold, the goosebumps on her skin as proof. "Brynn?" He asked.

"Cold," She whispered. Ethan smiled, standing up. She rubbed her arms, wrapping herself in the curtains.

"I'll go turn on the heater, okay, why don't you put on a sweater?" He asked. When she shook her head Ethan smiled, heading towards the dresser but the wall. "This one okay?" He asked, pulling out a little yellow sweatshirt. She grinned.

Yellow was her favourite colour.

Ethan walked back over to her and handed her the sweatshirt. She took it, almost dropping it but coming out of the curtains. Ethan smiled. "I'm gonna make it warm, okay?" He asked. She didn't reply and Ethan sighed, leaving the room.

When he came back to see Brynn struggling to put the sweatshirt on, he smiled. He walked over, pulling the sweatshirt down. He heard her gasp and she stepped back. Ethan's eyebrows furrowed as he got down on one knee. Brynn began to cry as she backed into the wall, nowhere to run.

"I'm not going to hurt you," Ethan said softly. She watched him, crying as she wiped at her face, her arms finally through the sweatshirt. "Brynn, has someone hurt you before?" He asked. She just continued to cry.

Ethan sighed as he watched her hiccup and sob as the child hid her face in her hands. "What's happening?" Y/N asked, walking into the room. Ethan turned to look at her and gave her a look. Y/N looked at Brynn and her heart broke, watching her shake in fear. She nodded at Ethan and walked out of the room.

"Water," She whispered in a few moments. Ethan stood up.

"You want water?" He asked, ready to go get her some. She shook her head quickly. Ethan frowned. "You wanna sit in bed and talk?" He asked.

Brynn had a feeling. She had a feeling he wasn't going to hurt her. She shook her head and pointed to the window. She wanted to sit on the ledge, where the cushions were. She wanted to look out at the sky and look at the moon.

But she couldn't get up by herself.

"You wanna sit up there?" Ethan asked. She nodded and Ethan smiled. He walked over and picked up her shaking body. Sitting her on the window ledge. She scurried over to the corner and he decided to stay on the bed.

He didn't want to scare her.

They sat in silence for a while. He watched as Brynn looked out the window. She'd never been up so high before. She could see all the streetlights in the dark and she could see the stars. They were so pretty. She turned to see Ethan watching her and froze a little. She'd been telling him her story.

"Water," She whispered again. Ethan was confused.

"I thought you didn't want water?" He asked. Brynn shook her head and looked out the window. Ethan sighed. "You tired, angel?" He asked. Brynn turned and looked at him. She shook her head.

"Hot water," She said. Ethan raised his eyebrows. "On tummy," She said. Ethan's eyes widened as Brynn pulled up her sweatshirt and t-shirt beneath it.

The skin was red and blistered and looked painful. Ethan winced as she pulled it down. "Who did that?" He asked. Oh no, he was gonna tell Susan. Oh no no no.

Brynn began to cry, and this time, Ethan couldn't help it. He walked over and sat at the window with her. He slowly pulled her into his lap as she shook and hiccupped. He leaned his head against the wall and waited for her sobs to die down. And once they had, he looked down.