hold me close

*

It was Christmas Eve in the Byer's house and El didn't want presents. She didn't care if her stocking was filled with coal or small gifts. She didn't care about decorating the tree with the rest of her new family, all she wanted was Mike back. Daily phone calls and occasional letters or packages were simply not enough.

The warmth of his sweaters did not convey the same feeling that Mike gave her. While the rest of her family was watching some Christmas movie, El was up in her room awaiting her last phone call from him for the day. She was wrapped up in one of his sweaters and sat in a small ball on her bed.

Though it seemed like hours had passed while she waited there, it had only been 5 minutes. She needed to hear his voice for it seemed it had been ages since she last heard it. His phone calls and occasional sweaters or shirts in the mail were the only thing keeping her heart glued together. The only thing she had before falling to pieces.

Soon enough the phone rang and El did not hesitate to answer it. "Hey," His voice made that familiar warm sensation run through her body. "Hi." She said, just smiling to herself. "How was your day?"

"It was okay.. everyone is downstairs watching a movie."

"Why aren't you with them? Christmas is about being with your family." Mike said, "I don't know... I can't pretend to be happy when I'm not." Mike frowned, he knew El hated being miles and miles away from him, and he could barely stand it himself. "I miss you so much." He heard her say quietly, "I know... me too. But you'll see me soon, I promise. I'm sorry you couldn't come for Christmas."

"I was looking forward to it b-but everything seems to be awful here and nothing ever goes the way it's supposed to!" She sniffled, "I just wanted to have my first Christmas with you and now I can't. I can't even open presents with you." Tears crawled down her face and her lip started to wobble. "I just want to come h-home."

Mike knew she was crying, she would try to muffle her voice out but he always heard her. "Hey, hey, don't cry. Don't cry. Everything will be okay in the end okay?"

She sniffled and tried to stop crying but that only made it worse. "I just want to see you... I don't want anything but you for Christmas.." He could hear her saying other things but he couldn't understand what she was saying. He knew how she felt because he felt like that every day.

Every day was continuously torturing him without seeing her. He didn't want anything for Christmas either, no video games or new toys could make him as happy as she did. He was sick and tired of it, she was right, he needed to see her right at that moment.

"Just hold on a little longer, okay?"

*

As soon as the two ended the phone call Mike instantly ran downstairs to where his mother was sitting in the living room. "Mom, can I borrow the car?"

"What? No! On Christmas Eve? You don't even have a valid driver's license yet! Where on Earth are you going?" She bombarded him with questions, "Mom. I need to go to El's, right now." He said, all seriousness in his voice. "Mike. I understand it's hard to be apart-"

"No, Mom. You don't. I've lost her once and I'm not doing it again. Being away from her is completely unbearable! Every night either one of us is crying and I can't take the distance anymore! I need to see her! Just.." Mike sighed, "Please, let me go."

His eyes were begging, his mother knew how bad he was hurting and a mother seeing her son miserable is not what she wanted. Giving in, she sighed. "Fine. Be safe on the road and be back soon okay? I don't want you gone the whole Christmas break." Mike grinned and hugged her tightly.