11.1

"Did you hear that?" Morgana spoke softly, halting where she stood

A pained scream rang out through the air, followed by the soft rumble of profanities.

Then, silence.

Gwynth hefted the backpack on her shoulders uncertainly, gazing in the direction of the noise. She hadn't wanted to go outside; still reeling from Jaxx's explosive attack on the other group of survivors.

Gwynth didn't have a choice, though. Her relationship with Esther was already strained after she'd sided with their parents at the beginning of Katherin and Esther's relationship. It wasn't as if she hadn't liked Katherin - she had, truly. Their parents had just been concerned of Katherin's past; her unstable mental health. Gwynth couldn't argue with that logic. They were right.

That said, Gwynth didn't want to risk decimating her relationship with Esther. They needed each other.

Esther was all Gwynth had left.

"What are we waiting for? If that's Katherin, she's in trouble!" Morgan hissed; grabbing Jaxx's arm as she bolted down the hill.

Jaxx held Morgana back, holding her against his chest.

Morgana struggled against his grip.

"Let go of me!" She screamed.

Gwynth winced. It was dangerous to make so much noise.

Jaxx muffed Morgana's cries of protest, slapping his hand over her mouth.

"We're going after them. We just need to be careful," Jaxx murmured.

Morgana nodded.

"Okay," she agreed softly.

Gwynth let out a breath of relief.

"We need to be careful. Follow me. Stay quiet," Jaxx spoke after a moment of silence.

The three of them crept through the suburb, hands on their weapons as they constantly surveyed their surroundings.

There was a rustling in the bushes. Gwynth whirled around, knuckles white as she gripped the rusted metal pipe she'd found in the dumpster behind an old shopping centre. She hadn't felt comfortable using a knife as a weapon. A knife implied that Gwynth would get close to her victim.

"Esther and Katherin were here," Jaxx stopped suddenly.

Morgana halted instantly; checking over her shoulder, as if the attackers were still watching, waiting. A prickle of sweat rolled down her forehead, stilling on her bottom lip. Morgana wiped it away.

A metal bat rolled across the cement, landing at Morgana's feet.

Morgana picked it up. There was a thumbprint imprinted into the handle. Katherin's. The scar on her thumb was unmistakable. She'd sliced her thumb open while picking up broken glass at Lyria's house. Izzy had smashed a mug but had been too afraid to tell her parents the truth. Katherin had taken the blame.

Morgana turned her attention to the cement. Bloody footprints could be seen amongst the bodies of dead zombies, a clear sign that there had been a fight. Morgana couldn't decide whether the blood was from the zombies, or from Katherin. She didn't want to think about it.

"The footprints lead this way," Jaxx spoke abruptly, pointing to the local park.

Morgana tried to swallow the lump in her throat.

They'd elected to do this. If they didn't find Katherin, then she'd die.

Katherin was relying on them.

Morgana clutched the metal bat tighter and pressed on. 

Hi everyone!

Hi everyone!

A short chapter today - sorry! I had to split this chapter into two parts because it ended up being around 4000 words, but there wasn't a super clean break to do so. 

How did you find this chapter? Will Jaxx, Morgana and Gwynth find Katherin in time?

Happy reading x