eleven

"Rennie..." Yiren heard Aisha mumble beside her.

The two were lying on Aisha's bed after a night of hanging out with their friends. Aisha had been high before they slept—or napped, in Yiren's case—and only woke up when Yiren was talking to her mom in a low voice, trying her hardest not to wake the older up.

"...mhm, yep. I promise I'm fine, Mom...Yeah, Aisha's parents are home, too...I'll see you in the morning...Love you, too. Goodnight."

Yiren hung up and put her phone back on the nightstand before turning back around and smiling at the sleepy girl.

"Go back to sleep, Aisha."

"No," Aisha pouted, sitting up with a yawn. "I wanna...wanna talk to you."

Yiren giggled at the drowsy expression on the other's face. "It's almost 2 in the morning. You need sleep."

"And so do you," Aisha mumbled.

It was dumb, because it was just Aisha showing she cared, but Yiren's heart skipped a beat nevertheless.

"I just had to call my mom to let her know I was okay," Yiren said.

Her parents were nowhere near accepting of Aisha. They hated her behavior and the few things they knew she did (like drive late at night), and they even tried to prevent Yiren from seeing her. But with Aisha being Aisha, the one time they tried to ground Yiren, she had knocked on the door and walked right in, past the two flabbergasted adults, and knocked on Yiren's bedroom door. Yiren still thought about that often and smiled because of it.

"Mm," Aisha hummed. "You're always fine when you're with me."

"I know, but they don't." Yiren couldn't help but smile at the truthfulness. She was more than fine when she was with Aisha.

Aisha hummed again and then lied back down, pulling Yiren with her. They shifted under the blankets as they tried to make themselves comfortable, Yiren making sure there was no possible way for Aisha to feel her racing heart. After falling still for all of two minutes, Aisha sat back up again.

"I'm thirsty."

Yiren laughed at the suddenness of Aisha's statement and pointed behind her. "There's water in my bag."

"You always come prepared."

"Someone has to be responsible here," Yiren joked.

Aisha chuckled as she slid off the bed and quietly made her way to Yiren's bag. The younger listened to the noise of Aisha ruffling through her things before ooooh! was heard.

"What's this?"

Aisha climbed back into bed, looking down at what she retrieved, and Yiren's eyes bulged out of her head when she saw that it was not her water bottle. It was two brand new necklaces still attached to the card. One pendant was the yin while the other was the yang, and they both had magnets in them so they could form the whole symbol. Seoyeon had bullied her into buying the set when they had went out (without Aisha, which was a first) earlier that day, and Seoyeon had promised to help her confess.

"Ask her to be the yin to your yang, or something," she had suggested when she gave Yiren the necklaces.

"Wouldn't that be...I don't know, too cheesy?"

"What? Oh no, Aisha likes cheesiness. Plus it'll get your point across because she's hard-headed and dull, trust me."

And so Yiren got the set with the intention of putting Aisha's necklace in a little box and possibly take her out for lunch or dinner and confess then. Or she would've gotten a teddy bear and flowers to go with it. Or maybe they take a walk along the water. Yiren didn't have specifics in mind, but she knew she needed a box for sure.