Chapter 46 - Run To Him

July 1961

Jess was eating cereal in the kitchen when Doug walked in. 

“Doug!” she said, sitting up with surprise.  She thought she was alone in the house since it was Annie’s day off.

“Good morning,” he said with a smile.  It was clear he’d just woken.  His hair was messy and free of hair cream, the dark waves falling over his forehead.

“What – are you doing here?”

“I asked dad if I could have the day off.”

“Oh,” Jess replied, trying to hide her shock. 

She didn’t know if Doug had ever missed work except for when he was in school, but she was even more surprised Uncle Jonathon would agree to letting him have the time off.  Since he’d been home over the summer, the two of them had rarely been apart.

Now that she knew Doug wasn’t Uncle Jonathon’s real son, she’d paid closer attention to their interactions, trying to detect any hint of it, but her uncle was entirely devoted to Doug as always, lavishing praise and attention on him.  Doug seemed equally devoted, but Jess wondered if he would be so willing to spend as much time with his dad if he didn’t feel some sort of obligation. 

It was clear he enjoyed working at the family business, but did he need to work so hard?  Didn’t fellows his age want to go out with friends too, or have time off to just be alone?  But maybe that was the reason he'd asked for time off that day.

“Do you know where Annie keeps the coffee?” he asked, opening the cupboard where the plates were.

“Yeah I do.”  She went to the butler’s pantry and came back with the can of coffee grounds.  He took it from her, and then looked around before giving her a sheepish grin. 

“I’m not sure how to make it.”

“I think I can.  I’ve seen her do it.”

“Thanks, Jess,” he said with relief while she took the can from him and headed for the electric percolator.  Once he was seated at the table with his cup of coffee and a bowl of cereal, he took a sip. 

“It’s good!”

“Thanks,” she said, returning his smile.

“I asked dad if I could have the day off because I wanted to spend it with you,” he said, digging into his cereal.  “I was hoping you could take me to the pond.”  Her heart began hammering in her chest while she watched him chew a mouthful of cereal.  “Is it alright?” he asked, suddenly looking concerned.  “I mean, is there a problem?”

“No, it’s fine,” she lied quickly, desperately trying to think of something. 

How could she possibly take him to the pond without him learning all her secrets?  The only way she’d ever gone was using the path from the cabin.  It would not only disclose she knew about the cabin, he might want to look inside, and that would give away everything.

“Annie said you swim there almost every day, and I thought –.”

“She did?” Jess asked faintly.  What else had Annie told him?

“Yeah, and I thought maybe we could go swimming together.”

“Oh, yeah.  We can do that,” Jess said, trying to smile convincingly.  She’d find the pond by some other route, she decided.  They’d have a quick swim, and then she’d bring him home long before Marty was off work.  That could work.  It had to.

“Great!  I thought we could pack a lunch so we could have a picnic, like I used to do with my mom.  We’ll make a day of it!”

“That sounds – fun,” Jess said, struggling to keep her smile going.