6 Phone Calls

SEPTEMBER 1989

"I saw everyone. We were all there, but we were older. Like the age of our parents."

Richie sits up smiling. "Am I still so handsome as an adult?" He looks at Bev with a silly face stretched over his complexion. "You grow into your looks," Bev says laughing softly. "What does that mean?

"What about me?" Stan asks with a smile. "You looked the same, only taller."

(y/n) turns to Henry kissing his cheek softly. "You better have cut this off by then." I pull at his mullet. "No. fucking. Way." Henry shakes his head laughing and playing with my fingers.

"Let's swear ... Let's swear if he's not dead, If he ever returns, we will return." Bill says and soon we all have a deep cut running along the skin of our palms.

Memory is a strange thing.
People believe they are what they choose to remember.
Good memories.
The moments.
The places.
People close to us.
But sometimes ...
Sometimes, we are what we want to forget.
The truth is that ...
sometimes what we want to forget ...
What we want to leave in the past ...

IT won't stay there.

===

"(Y/n), look this way!" "Over here, (Y/n)!" "Beautiful darling!"

"Alright, alright! Please back away! Give her space!" I have my bodyguard lead me away to my apartment. He tries to follow me all the way to my door but I stop him. "I can make it myself, thank you." I open my door and am greeted with nothing but the cold air.

I sigh and walk into my home throwing my bag and coat on my couch. I slide my heels off and walk to the kitchen getting ready to make dinner for one.

Suddenly my phone starts ringing. Someone from Derry, Maine. My blood runs cold and I don't know the reason why. I haven't even thought of Derry for 15 years!

I answer reluctantly. "Hello? This is-" "(Y/n). It's Mike." "I-I'm sorry?" "Mike Hanlon. You need to come home. Somethings happened." "Mike. Oh my gosh, I'm sorry! It's been so long." "Yes. I need your help (y/n). I need everyone's help." "Mike I can't just leave work just for a phone call. I've got things planned." Mike sighs frustrated. "(Y/n). You promised us. You promised." "I don't even know what was happening at the time. It was a crazy time in my life. You know how I use to be." "IT is back (y/n)." I draw my eyes down to my hand and notice a small scar I've forgotten. My heart clenches and my head swarms with foggy questions. "I'll be there as soon as I can."

===

Richie Tozier stands in the wings reading the good luck text from his sister until his phone starts buzzing with a phone number from Derry, Maine.
"Richie, It's Mike. You need to come back to Derry."

The nerves rush to Richie's stomach and he rushes out the door and pukes off the fire escape.

"What the fuck! You were fine five seconds ago. Who called you? Was it your sister? She's got to stop messing with you! Rich, talk to me. It's your turn in two minutes. You're good? Because you don't look that way." "- I'm fine."

"You're good? Agree. And we walk and walk. 60 seconds. Bring him a bottle of water."

"Bourbon."

"Sure. And a mint."
Richie gulps the drink and places the mints in his mouth.

"How I look?" "Your hands are shaking, Rich."

"Shit."

"Ladies and gentlemen, welcome Richie Trashmouth."

Richie walks out with a smile waving at his fans. "All right. How are you tonight!"

You know when I was younger my sister caught me masturbating to one of her friend's polaroid pictures. You know what old habits die hard because last week my girlfriend caught me masturbating to her friend's Facebook. And now I go to Masturbators Anonymous. I stopped at the first meeting and said: "My name is Richie Trashmouth.....Trashmouth ... I forgot the joke."

After the 'wonderful' show Richie calls his sister from miles away. "Hey (y/n). What are you doing?" "Probably the same things you'll be doing soon. Did you get a call?" "From Mike? Yeah. What do you think he wants?" "I'm not sure Richie. We were all so young who knows what we did back then." Richie laughs at their childhood. "Are you really going to fly down there? You're busy arent you?" "I'm always busy but I feel like we need to go. I don't know what it is. I feel like I'm forgetting something." "Me too. Maybe we're crazy." (y/n) laughs. "You sure are Rich. I'll pick you up Friday to head down to Derry." "Okay. I'll talk to you later. Bye asshole." "Beep Beep, Richie." "W-what did you just say?" her voice stays silent. "I-I don't know. It just... came to me." Richie laughs nervously. "Been a while since you said that." "Yeah...Well, I'll see you later Richie."

When the line ended both ran their fingers over their scared hands. What were they forgetting?