Chapter 36 - Bedlam Aboard

1 0 0

Mike was the first to react, "Who has a working cell phone? Call an ambulance and the police. We're going to have a lot of explaining to do." Harry reached into his pocket, pulled out his cell phone and dialed 911.

Olsten said, "Harry, don't mention Stanley. I'll take responsibility for him. Believe me... he'll be more terrified of facing our mother than any prison term."

I saw Dad reach into his pocket and pull out the handcuff key. "You'll need this. Stanley made an appearance while you were subduing the goons. Jack and Matthew took care of him."

"He's here?" asked Olsten.

"Yup... he's handcuffed over by the packing case where we were watching the proceedings. He's not going to be very happy. Matthew whacked him pretty hard with a two-by-four."

Harry finished the call, looked at Dad and said, "Come with me. Let's gather up the other goon. He may be waking up soon and we don't want him to get away."

The police and ambulance arrived about fifteen minutes later. Olsten and Stanley were gone and Mike was guarding the two goons with the automatic rifle. "What happened here?" the senior officer demanded as the first responders tended to Big Man Jones.

Harry, of course, knew the officer and stepped up, "George, it's a long story, so why don't I come with you to the police station. I'll give you the complete rundown. Everyone here will be staying at the Georgetown Hotel if you need to question them. It's been a long night."

"Alright, Harry, you can vouch for these people?"

"Absolutely. I think we need to go over to the container docks as we have another one of the players locked up and I think you just might know who he is."

The officer said, "OK, but I need everyone's name, nationality and description. I would also like to see some I.D. from everyone."

As the ambulance drove away with Big Man Jones, Mum and Sandra sat down with one of the officers and provided the information that they required. The other officers gathered up the two goons, hustled them to the waiting police cars, and with their lights still flashing, drove away. Harry and the senior officer climbed into the remaining police car and drove off too. As the sirens grew quieter with distance, all you could hear was crying and the lapping of water on the docks.

Matthew and I were crying our hearts out and Dad came over and hugged us. After fifteen minutes we were still sobbing, so he tried to distract us by saying, "Let's go see what state the Sheffield is in."

With his arms still around us, we started to walk the few yards back to the Lord Sheffield. Mike decided to join us as we went.

We stepped aboard and entered the cockpit. We peered into the main salon – absolute bedlam. Everything on the boat that had been in one place, was now in another. Papers, books, tools, safety equipment, beer – all kinds of things, things I didn't even know were onboard, were scattered everywhere.

"Well, I guess they never found the documents," Mike said.

Dad ignored him and said, "I've seen worse. Let's close her up and we'll get to sorting her out in the morning."

We gathered up Jack, Mum, Sandra and Matthew and made our way out to Water Street and down the road to the Georgetown Hotel. It was pretty dark – the street was lit by mostly broken street lights. Anyone sensible wouldn't have been out on the streets of Georgetown at this time of night, but we didn't care. Anyone who messed with us would regret it. We were wired up from the events of the night. The deep sorrow and grief we felt for losing Big Man Jones had not fully set in, but it would.

In the Wake of the Lord SheffieldWhere stories live. Discover now