[ 26 ]

Dominic's POV

Caterina never seems to understand the extent of the problem. She always acts on her emotions.

But I guess that proves that we're related.

"Why can't I take her with me?" She frowns.

"They're after her." I emphasize.

Her eyes widen and the reality sinks in. She gulps out of nervousness. "I thought you were joking—The... the West Side can't possibly know about someone like Inaya. Besides, she's lowkey."

"You're not understanding, Caterina. Someone fucked us over." I grit my teeth.

"From the inside? Inside our circle?" She gasps. "That's not possible. Everyone's deadly afraid of you."

"Yeah, apparently, not everyone. I'm tearing my gang apart for information. I'm... interrogating."

"You mean you're torturing?" She raises a brow.

I don't answer. My silence is the answer.

She sighs. "Hurting people won't always get you what you want, Dom. One day, it'll ruin you."

"It's been getting me what I want for the last 10 years. I'm guessing it works." I shrug my shoulders.

"Will you keep Inaya safe? Promise me you will." She says with hope in her. Once.

"I'll keep my familia safe." I simply answer.

"Inaya is family." She looks at me with fire in her eyes. "She's my family."

"She carries vital information. I can't let them have her, even if I wanted to." I reassure her.

"Why can't you ever simply say 'Yes, cousin. I'll do it.' You make everything sound so morbid." She rolls her eyes.

I shrug my shoulders yet again.

She huffs out of defeat. "I can't believe I'm letting someone as innocent and sweet as Inaya live with your dumb ass. But I guess, as of now, I don't have a choice."

Her words don't offend me, partly because she's right. Someone like her would only end up tainted around someone like me.

"I guess I'll deliver her the good news." Caterina mumbles sarcastically as she walks out.

• • •

Inaya's POV

"I'm glad cousin didn't give you a shitty room, not that his house has any shitty rooms. But, this is a better room than what he gives me when I come over." Caterina giggles.

Ya Allah, I missed her snarky comments and adorable laugh so much.

She jumps onto the bed and lays down.

"So... About Nick, how do you like him?" Caterina grins like a schoolgirl.

I'm sure my cheeks became a tint of pink.