Prologue

It started when i was a kid. Around 8 or 9. Back then it was simple teasing. Just a few mean words here and there. But they hurt. Of course they did. I was a kid. Everything hurt. I was already insecure. I knew i didn't look like the other kids. I was fatter. My hair was thick and curly, always down, always messy. I used to have white, blonde hair. Then it started to darken. So did my views of the other kids. I never felt the need to call anyone names. So why did they? Was it normal to be mean to other people? Was it normal to make other kids cry, like they did me. I thought it must have been, because whenever i told a teacher, an adult, a person i could trust. They never did anything. It was always brushed aside as a bit of gentle teasing. But they didn't hear the names. They didn't know what it felt like to be the only person in the class, because that's what i was. I was the only one in the class. The only one who got picked on. The only one who got left out. The only one who used to sit alone at lunch and break, just wishing that i had at least one friend. Was that too much to wish for? Was that an impossible task? Was it just too hard to be friends with the fatty? I think it went down hill when i left primary. I had become used to the kids in my class being mean. How was i expected to deal with hundreds of kids targeting me in high school. And this time, it was more than just a few words...