i. the unforecasted storm

✧⁺❀ C h a p t e r o n e . . .

By the time Lola arrived outside the block of flats that her boyfriend lived in, it was already midnight. The sky was pitch black, apart from several stars which were scattered scarcely like pinpricks made of diamonds.

Getting out of her car, she took her suitcase from the back seat and brought it to her side. It was a large case, as she usually used it for holidays, but she had been unable to find anything suitable for a one night stay, which left her burdened with a case that could hold the necessities for a fortnight.

She slammed all of the car doors shut and locked it with her keys, finding herself for some reason smiling at the sound of the click, telling her that everything was locked up. More likely the reason for her sudden joy was the fact that she was going to get to spend the night with her boyfriend, Jack. If they had grown apart temporarily, meeting up would definitely rekindle the spark.

Lola shoved her car keys into her pocket and began to walk towards the building. Her suitcase trailed along behind her, grinding against the gravel and occasionally jumping up if it was wheeled over a pebble on the concrete.

When she entered the apartment block, her boots began to squeak against the pristine, tiled floor, which when compared to the silence that had existed before her arrival, made her feel slightly anxious. She wasn't too sure why though.

Wearily pressing the button for the lift, Lola waited for it to descend to the ground floor. She looked around her to see if there was anyone in the lobby with her. Unsurprisingly, she was the sole occupant of the area, seeing as most of the city was already asleep.

The lift doors opened and she stepped inside, punching in the correct floor number for Jack's apartment. The doors slid shut and she felt the lift move upwards, causing her stomach to drop. It made her want to throw up.

Most of her life, Lola had had a huge phobia of lifts. Something about being trapped in a moving metal box, suspended by a wire, really made her terrified. She had never had a bad experience with one, but you didn't really need to have an unpleasant encounter with something, before deciding to be scared of it. She had never died before, but she was definitely still scared of it.

The lift stopped on the fourth floor and Lola exited the silver death trap. She walked for a couple of seconds across the carpeted corridor, until she came to Jack's apartment.

Being his girlfriend, she had a key to his place, which she slid into the lock and turned. It clicked open and she walked inside, dragging her suitcase with her.

The apartment was quite small - smaller than hers, but Jack did live on his own, whereas Lola shared her flat with Elowen. At least, she thought he lived on his own.