chapter 79

james

i knock on wanda's door and at the same time i make sure to not let go of natalia's hand as her eyes wonder around the place. she's up to something, she's thinking of doing something i can tell. it definitely involves blood. she smirks to herself as i blink at her, trying to read her expression.

"come in!" wanda calls out in a soft voice and catches me off guard.

i slowly open it and push natalia in, wanda frowns at us both when i give her a 'help me' look. wanda stands up from a chair and comes over to us.

"wanda, natalia snapped like i did...can you remove the programming from her mind?" i politely ask when natalia looks away.

"yeah, sure i can try but it might trigger some bad memories." she tells me.

"just try please, i'm scared she's going to snap any minute. i think she's planning something." i glare at natalia when she tries to pull out her gun, she rolls her eyes at my expression and puts it back.

"o-okay." wanda hesitantly takes a step towards natalia but...

knock knock

there's a knock at the door.

great.

"come in." wanda sighs, frustrated that she was interrupted.

"is natasha okay? is she here?" clint opens the door then gives natalia a relieved smile.

natalia pauses for a few seconds then a smirk creeps onto her face...it's definitely not her smirking, her fingers make her way to the pocket her gun is in...

"clint, duck!" i yell at him as he rolls to the ground when natalia pulls out a gun and shoots at clint, natalia hisses at me for ruining her plan.

"thanks, bucky." clint jumps off from the ground but before anyone can react, natalia pulls the trigger again and the bullet goes straight through clint's chest.

"shit!" i call out as wanda gasps.

"fuck..." clint breathes and drops to the ground, holding his wound with his left hand. blood pours out of it, blood goes everywhere.

"oh my god!" natalia drops the gun to the ground and covers her mouth. she drops next to clint and tears fall out of her eyes.

"n-natasha-"

"i'm so so sorry clint, i'm so fucking sorry! i couldn't control it." she cries as i take off my shirt and place it on where clint was shot.

for fuck's sake.

"guys we need to take him to the shield hospital, quick!" wanda panics as i apply force with my shirt, blood gets all over my hands.

"natasha...it's okay..." clint coughs up blood continuously and it goes on natalia but she doesn't care.

"we need to be quick, help me take him there." i'm so tired of all this.

time skip

natalia

i shot clint, why would i shoot clint? this is exactly why i left, i should've never let james and clint find me. i should've killed that random man and ran off to somewhere far away from here.

"stop blaming yourself." james sighs from behind me, we're standing in the shield hospital, waiting for clint's surgery to finish.

"why should i stop? it's my fault, i shot him. who the fuck shoots someone so close to them?" my voice is sore from crying.

"me, that's who." james snaps then sighs again. "but you should never blame yourself, we will prevent you from snapping." he hugs me from behind as i stare at the white wall in front of me.

"no, james. clint is in fucking surgery because of me, i should've ran away to somewhere-"

alarms from the surgery room clint is in go off. i gasp but before i can run to it, james grabs my wrist, knowing that i'm gonna break in there and go to clint.

"...james..."

"y-yeah?"

"let me go..."

"nah."

"now..."

"no because you'll end up bursting in there and pulling clint out when they're trying to save his life!" he says in a stern voice and quickly grabs me before i run off.

"he's gonna die! i need to say goodbye!" i yell and kick and scream but he won't let me go.

"no he won't and you know it." he whispers in my ear to calm me down when a nurse gives me a look, i take a deep breath and grab his wrist for support.

silence.

a doctor slowly walks up to us, biting her lip nervously. i swallow hard and my eyes go blurry from tearing up, i want to scream. he's dead and i know it. he's dead. my best friend is fucking dead and it's because of me.

"romanoff and barnes?" she asks and we both nod, she sighs.

"is he okay?" i snap and look behind her.

"if you can let me speak then i can explain-"

"i said is he okay?!" i yell in her face, james holds me back as she waits for me to calm down.

"he has pneumothorax but we've treated it by inserting a small tube." she explains to us, james sighs in relief.

"p-pneumothorax?" i ask in guilt.

"yes, his left lung collapsed but we've treated it."

"then what were those alarms?" i eye her suspiciously, she swallows hard.

"he woke up during the surgery, i'd advise you to not visit him when he wakes up until we say so." i look at her name tag, i glare at 'doctor chantelle'.

"and why is that?" i ask through my teeth but then realise that these doctors are the ones saving clint's life.

"it must've been traumatic to wake up during a surgery, we need to make sure he's stable before letting any visitors see him."

"okay." i nod.

"great, i'll update you if anything occurs." she smiles but before she leaves i stop her.

"thank you so much." i thank her with tears in my eyes.

"my pleasure." she smiles and walks off.

"fuck..." i whisper to myself and turn around to james, i lean my head on his chest.

"he's going to be okay, natalia." he kisses me on the head and reassures me.

i hope so, otherwise i don't know what i'm going to do.

go in there and finish off the job.

i slowly pull away from him with wide eyes, he licks his lips and arches a brow at me. i try to speak but no words come out, he frowns and stares into my eyes.

"james, i need to go." i say in a panic.

"why?"

"because i'm going to kill clint!" i hiss, he looks confused for a second then realises.

"just ignore it, natalia." he hugs me again but i push him away.

kill anyone in our way, including him.

"i'm going to kill you too."