Eight

Ashton dropped me off at the end of my street. I began walking down the long footpath. That's when I noticed someone walking. The black jeans and grey hoodie made me suspect that it was Jack but I couldn't see as he was walking away from me with his hood up, towards the forest.

I picked up my pace as I walked quickly down the pavement. He came to the fence that surrounded the woods and he hoisted himself up. He swung both his legs over, so he was now facing me. I said, "Jack?"

His eyes met mine and he quickly jumped down, running into the woods. I ran up to the fence, struggling to get over it smoothly as I was in a tight pencil skirt. I jumped off and landed successfully on me feet. I looked ahead of me, searching for him. All I saw was trees and leaves all over the ground. I wandered into the trees.

Suddenly a hand was clasped over my mouth from behind. My eyes went wide and I began screaming, only for them to be muffled by his hand. He walked round so he was facing me and whispered, "Shut up. It's Jack," his baby blue eyes looking straight into my hazel ones. He chuckled, "Be quiet because this is private property and we're technically trespassing."

He took his hand away and I asked, "Then why are you here?"

He looked about nervously and then lifted his hand up, showing me a cigarette like roll-up. I gave him a disgusted look and scoffed, "Smoking is gross. I can understand why you come in here. Everyone else thinks it's vile."

He chuckled and asked, "Do you know what it is that I'm smoking?" I shook my head. He smiled, "It's weed."

I laughed and said, "you're joking, right?"

"No," he shook his head and continued, "it's not bad for you. Actually, it's rumoured that smoking weed can help prevent cancer."

I chuckled and asked, "Why do you come in here to do it? You can get attacked by who knows what in here."

"That's what makes me feel alive," he smiled. This smile wasn't at me though; it was a smile to himself.

"What?" I asked, utterly confused of everything that was happening.

He sighed, "My mom and dad are so protective over me after what happened to my sister. Whenever I'm leaving the house there's so many questions like, 'Where?' 'With who?' 'No later than 10' and it annoys me. They are almost like protective shields over me and sometimes I just like to put myself into a situation of danger to make myself feel free."

"Ohhhh," I said as I took everything into consideration, "That's pretty stupid. Jack, what happens if you got killed out here? How would they feel?" He shrugged so I answered for him, "I'll tell you how they would feel. They would probably feel like they've failed, Like they've failed to protect you."

He sighed, "Do you want to walk with me and smoke with me or not?"

"Yes and no," I smirked at him.

"What do you mean 'yes and no'?" He asked, attempting to hold back on a playful grin appearing.

I smiled, "I will walk with you but I will not smoke with you."

He shook his head as he laughed. Hinting to him I said, "You're going to have to lead me the way. I've never been in here before."

He took my hand and we began walking. He held my hand in his left as he laced our fingers together. He brought his right hand up to his mouth, taking a drag and blowing the smoke away from me. He smirked down at me and said, "See, I can be classy if I want."

"Mm yeah. A walk in the soggy leaves and birds in the trees above us while you get high. Really classy," I giggled.

He smiled an said, "I can be classy if I want okay? I could take you out to a big fancy restaurant where all the celebrities go if I wanted."

"At least the soggy leaves and moisture wouldn't be seeping into my heels," I sighed.

He looked down at my shoes and chuckled, "You're going to ruin them! Here," he threw his roll-up onto the ground and stamped it out. He let go out my hand and walked in front of me, crouching down a little, "I'll give you a piggy back."

I put my hands on his shoulders and said, "This skirt would end up around my stomach if I did that."

He took his grey hoodie off, revealing an ordinary, short-sleeved, white t-shirt. He handed me his hoodie and said, "Put it on. Because of our height difference, it should cover the parts that you want covered."

I took in and put it on. He was right. It came to my upper thigh. He chuckled, "Hop on."

I jumped up, wrapping my arms around his neck as my legs wrapped around his waist. His large hands went to the back of my thighs as he held me up. I rested the side of my face against his ear and said, "this friendship is moving quickly. How are you even holding me up? No offence but you aren't the strongest."

He chuckled as he walked. He said, "I'm stronger than everyone thinks. Everyone thinks that because I'm quite lanky that I'm not strong. I am."

I looked down and saw that he actually did have quite big biceps. I poked one and said, "I see that now."

"We're almost at my favourite place to go," he whispered softly.

About a minute later we stopped. I asked, "whats so special about here?"

He laughed and said, "Not down here," he let go of my right thigh and pointed up a tree, "up there."

I slid down from his back, my shoes sinking a bit in the soggy mud as I landed. He turned to face me and I said, "I can't climb trees."

"It's only like 5 metres. You won't die," I raised my eyebrows and laughed, "You won't die because I'll help you."

I walked up to the tree and sat on a low branch. I took my shoes off and handed them to Jack. He took the black heels off me and said, "I'll help you."

He stood on the branch beside me. He held my hand, helping me to my feet. He lifted my waist and hoisted me up so that I was sat on his shoulder. He muttered, "Sorry." I was about to ask what he was apologising for but then I understood. He put his hands on my ass and lifted me up high enough to reach the branch he told me to go to.