Chapter 14 - Mya

Disability = How life is harder for someone because they're not part of the group of people for who the world has been designed. There are different types of disability, for example, neurodevelopmental disorders (like autism or ADHD) or physical disabilities (being blind or deaf). I believe that disability isn't about how people who are disabled are broken, but how society doesn't want to include them into their 'normal' world because it requires being considerate of other people's needs.

It was a good idea to wait for Amber at the station. She seemed pretty nervous when she arrived, and reserved, but then she relaxed a little and just became mostly herself. When everyone is here, we go over to one of the bus stops and wait for the next bus there.

I lean closer to Amber. "You look pretty. What lipstick are you wearing?" It's sparkly but not too obvious in colour, but at the same time, it also doesn't look like a gloss, not shiny enough.

She meets my eyes for a moment, and then looks away again, her cheeks flushing. "It's a balm with a little colour, nothing fancy." She reaches into her bag, pulling out a tube and offering it up to me.

I carefully take it from her, opening the cap and smelling the cherry scent. Cherry chapstick... I feel like I'm in a Katy Perry song suddenly and the tune to 'I kissed a girl' pops into my head. Oh, bad. I close the cap again and hand it back, don't need to be all over her stuff... Sharing chapsticks is a little... intimate, right now. "Pretty, and the scent is nice."

Amber nods. "I like it, and I thought..." She shrugs. "Going all-out in makeup may not be a good idea." Then she glances to Izzy. "Though, maybe I shouldn't have worried?"

I laugh, looking at Izzy and Elliot too, who are discussing the upcoming convention we're attending, and the cosplays they'll be wearing. "Don't ever worry that you'll be standing out, not with this bunch. Trying to not stand out makes you stand out more with them around. And I'd know." I purposefully look down at myself before I wink at her.

Amber also lets out a little laugh. "I guess." Then she checks her phone, going more serious as she messages someone.

"Everything okay?"

She glances up at me, and then smiles a little as she nods. "Just... It's hard to be away from the computer. I'm so used to, you know, always working on the channel, or my university work." She raises a shoulder, frowning. "It feels weird to not be 'working'. I need to learn to relax more."

"You don't go out much?" I don't know how I feel about that, it doesn't sound good to always be so busy.

She shrugs again. "I do. Just... I've been having..." She lets out a breath. "I've just not been having the best week, so I'm behind on university work and on videos and now I'm taking time away from that and..." She closes her eyes for a moment.

"I didn't mean to get you in trouble." Did I force her too much? "If you need to go home..." It would be sad, but I don't want to inconvenience her. I don't want to make her feel bad.

"No." She shakes her head resolutely, giving me a tight smile. "I want to go to the party. I want to..." Her eyes dart to me, making her blush. "Spend time with you." The last words are only quiet, and I feel my own cheeks heat up. Oh, of course. Right.

"I'm... I'm glad you came."

Luckily, right at that time, the bus arrives and we all pile into it, dragging our bags and everything behind us. The driver looks a little funny at everything we have with us, but the bus isn't very full, so he's not going to complain.

I end up next to Amber on the bus, with Izzy and Elliot behind us and Fleur and Alex in front of us.

As soon as the bus drives off, Izzy leans forward, her eyes on Amber. "I think you have a really cute channel. Mya has been showing me a few things. Very adorable."