Chapter Nine

Never had Remi slept so well. Not once did she wake up shivering as she'd done the past several nights. The black-faced wolf put off a lot of heat. It'd been the same the first night they'd met, he'd kept her warm then as well.

After letting the wolf out to do his business, Remi turned on her cell phone. There was a voicemail waiting for her from Ms. Martin. It'd been left nearly two hours ago. As she clicked on it, she couldn't help but wonder why La Vie d'Paris' number two had called. Last evening, she'd received her paycheck and was given a bonus as well. Maybe the tip had been a mistake? Or had Gideon not picked up all of her things from the other night?

"Hello, Miss Dixon. This is Josephine Martin from La Vie d'Paris. We were impressed with your last job and were wondering if you'd be available again next Friday and Saturday. Please let me know at your earliest convenience."

Dreaming of steady gigs at La Vie d'Paris, Remi's finger slightly shook as she hit the redial button. The call went directly to voicemail. After the prompt, she left a message saying she'd take the job. She tried sounding professional but was afraid she missed the mark due to her excitement.

After showering and getting ready for the day, Remi went into the kitchen to scrounge up some breakfast. With the payment for the New Year's Eve gig hitting her account last night, she could make groceries today. She'd be eating more than a buttered slice of bread and a questionable slice of lunch meat for her morning meal.

Scratching at the window disturbed Remi's breakfast. The black-faced wolf – Kevin – was back it would seem. After padding into the living room with her mostly-eaten sandwich balanced in her palm, she opened it for the wolf.

"I hope your breakfast was more filling than mine, Kevin," Remi remarked as she took the last bite. She didn't miss the wolf's baleful look at the name she'd given him. Unfortunately for him, she'd grown accustomed to it, and that's how she thought of him.

Kevin huffed in reply to her statement after he understood Remi wouldn't back down on his name. Whether it was a "yes," "no," or "meh," she couldn't say.

Brushing the crumbs from her hands, Remi went to her apartment's entryway. After sliding her feet into her old snow boots, she stomped them to settle the bunched padding. Reaching for her leather coat, she was stopped by a tug on her sweatshirt.

"I'm off to make groceries. I don't think you'll be all that welcome at the market," Remi noted. The wolf let go of her sleeve, sat, and gave her puppy-dog eyes. Those innocent, copper orbs begged to come along.

"Fine," Remi huffed. "But you'll have to wait outside."

Kevin's only response was to continue to watch Remi as she put on, then zipped up her coat. She wished she knew what this loa-approved protector was thinking. Added to that, she wanted to know precisely who sent him to her and why.

"Let's go, then." Remi wrapped her scarf around her neck, then opened the door. Hopefully, Kevin wouldn't lunge at people as he had in the bar yesterday. She'd be banned from all the stores for sure if he did.

"Behave," Remi warned the wolf when they entered the grocery shop, he wouldn't stay outside. Already, they'd received odd looks. The day was warmer than it'd been all week. Many people were out, enjoying the break from the bitter cold.

Unbelievably, Remi's mission of shopping with a giant wolf in tow was a success. Kevin didn't lunge at or bite anyone. There was one instance where his tail nearly knocked over a display of stacked oranges, but with fast action, she was able to save it and herself from embarrassment.

The rest of the day went as usual. Remi worked on remixing songs. Damballah snuggled with the wolf and went outside with him. What the unlikely pair got up to while she wasn't watching, she couldn't say. That night, they kept their secrets close as they slept in her bed.