nineteen; our angels

SHAWN MENDES

I let out a shaky breath as I heard the cries of our girls. I, automatically, brought my hand to dry my tears. Serenity cried softly while extending her arms to grab one of our daughter.

"I can't believe it." She sobbed onto my chest. "Hey, you're so pretty."

The woman gave me the second girl, I carefully wrapped my arms around her as she moved around. I brought the pad of my thumb and rubbed it against her cheek.

"Hey baby, it's papa." I said softly. "And this is your sister and you mummy." I cooed, showing her Ren. "They are so pretty."

Serenity hummed but kept her stare on the baby, she was in total awe. She looked up at me, offering me a warm smile.

"You did so good, love." I whispered kissing her forehead.

She smiled. "Thank you." She murmured.

"We have to take them again so we can clean them." Told a woman. "Don't worry, they'll come back quick." She chuckled.

They, soon, left the room leaving Ren and I alone. Ren closed her eyes, slowly breathing. Her hand grabbed mine while kissing it sweetly.

"I'm so tired." She murmured. "Do you think I can sleep?"

"Of course." I told her, pushing her hair of her face. "I will be by your side."

She nodded. "What if they came back and want to know the names?" She kind of panicked.

I laughed, shaking my head. "Don't worry, I will wait for you."

She hummed. "Thank you babe."

Few minutes later, Ren was totally asleep, we could hear a little snorts as I watched television. Knocks on the door snapped me out of my thoughts, the nurses were holding my girls as they put them into their crib.

"Thank you." I smiled at them.

One of them smiled. "Any names?"

I nodded surely. "We do but, I prefer waiting until she's awake." I pointed at my girlfriend. "If you don't mind." I added.

"Of course not." She replied. "You guys have been through a lot this last few hours, she must be exhausted." She stated, looking at my girl.

I hummed with a chuckle. "She is but, she did good. I'm proud of her."

"You have no idea how lucky she is to have you by her side." She said. "I have a hard job, you know? Seeing all those pretty, young, innocent women walking in here without someone to lean on after."

"I can imagine." I told her. "Wanna stay a little? I kind of feel lonely." I laughed. "My name is Shawn by the way."

The brunette nurse sat down and, smiled. "Mine is Penelope."

"Oh, that's a great name." I replied softly. "Penelope, do you have children?"

She hummed, looking straight outside. "Two boys and another one on the way."

I gasped, looking at her. "Wow, that's great. Congratulations." I said to her, excitedly. "That must be exciting, right?"

She giggled. "Well, it's my third baby so I know how to handle it."

"True." I replied. "Could you give me some advices? I know Serenity and I will struggle with the girls at first. Like, we have two babies at the same time not one." I sighed. "Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy to have them, I'm just—"

"Anxious?" She finished my sentence as I nodded. "It's normal, it's your first kids. You can't be good everywhere, you will have to learn patiently how those little monsters work." She chuckled looking at them sleeping. "Don't fight with your girlfriend, it's important for you guys to handle everything together, alright? Then, everything will go very fast and in like six months, your girls won't be babies anymore."

I whined. "I swear, they just got out but I don't want to see them grow up. That's scary to be honest."

"It is." She agreed. "My boys are only six and four but, they look so old and I know the next step is seeing their girlfriends. I, honestly, don't want to." She assured me.

I rubbed my face. "Serenity is about to wake up." I stated. "Wow, we've been talking for an hour already." I mumbled, looking at my watch.

"Is any of your parents coming?" She asked standing up.

I grabbed my phone. "Yeah, my parents took the place about an hour ago, they live in Canada. And, Ren's mum should be here any minutes now."

She nodded her head, pulling her hair in a bun. "Alright, I will leave you two. See you later, Shawn."

"See you later, Penelope." I waved at her, walking to the cribs and watching my babies. "Hi girls." I cooed as their tiny hands grabbed my fingers.

I turned around, hearing the door. Ren's mum, Selena, was standing in the room smiling. "Hey Shawn." She whispered aware of her daughter sleeping.

"Hi Selena." I told her, hugging her side. "You good?"

She smiled at me. "Perfect, I cant believe they're finally here." She murmured looking at them. "They're so perfect."

I chuckled. "I know. My parents should be here by now."

"Oh, Karen and Manny are coming?" Asked Selena as I nodded. "Amazing! I'm so glad that everyone is coming."

"Are they awake?" I heard behind me, I turned around seeing Serenity sitting up.

I shook my head. "No, they've been sleeping since they came back." I responded. "You okay?"

She nodded her head, eyes still closed. "Better, thank you for letting me sleep."

I smiled. "Of course, babe. Your mum is here." I informed her. "Also names?"

"Um, Monica and Marisol." She smiled cheekily.

"Marisol? What does that mean?" I queried sitting next to her.

She took a dee breath. "Marisol is spanish, basically the sea and the sun." She grinned.

"Our angels." I whispered, kissing Serenity's forehead. "I'm so proud of you."

"Mon and Mari are cute nicknames." Stated Serenity with a little laugh.

"I agreed." Said Selena with my family behind. "So, Monica and Marisol?" Interrupted my mum.

I shook my head up and down. "Exactly, you like?"

My dad walked towards me, wrapping his arms around her while patting my back. "It's good to see you, son." He whispered. "Good to see you, Ren. Still look amazing."

Serenity laughed. "Even after almost a day of labor?" She teased.

My mum kissed her forehead. "Even after almost a day of labor, hunny." Replied my mum, making Serenity blushes.

"I love you." I said to Serenity, pecking her lips.