murder in the city - jake

this one is kind of personal to me, murder in the city is one of my favorite songs ever and means so much to me, and this is something i thought of while trying to fall asleep but instead i made myself cry.

PLEAASSSSE listen to this song, it would mean the world to me :)

UNEDITED

———

I stood on the side of the stage beside Joy as I watched Greta Van Fleet do their wonderful thing. Josh singing lead, Sam on bass and keys, Danny on drums, and my Jakey on guitar. Oh, the way he made me feel when he was up there. The way his hair moves with his body, his faces, his solos, his outfits... Tonight he was wearing heeled Chelsea boots, black jeans, and an sparkly orange jacket, open and bare-chested. He bought it for me, because he knows how much I love orange.

(AN: im fucking obsessed with orange okay)

It was their last show of a long tour, so it was special to them. It happened to be in my home state of Massachusetts, so it was important to me too. Only this one was different, and not in a good way. Jake would always steal glances at me whenever he could when he performed. But tonight, he hadn't looked at me once. It let me down a little.

I pointed this out to Joy, but she just said, "It's probably nothing. I bet he's just tired. You know, last show? Long tour? Don't worry about it," she chuckled, patting my back as I saw Sam wink at her. My slight smirk faded.

I kept my low spirit throughout the show, still feeling like a ghost.

"Alright," Josh said into the microphone after finishing one of their last songs. "I'm gonna hand this one to Jake." This grabbed my attention, the crowd's screams not even phasing me. I watched him put his acoustic guitar around him, slide his capo on, and step out to the microphone. The rest of the boys walked over to me and Joy, with huge smiles on their faces.

"Okay," Jake breathed out into the mic once the audience had slightly died down. "This one is for my woman. My lady. My life. My one and only..." he glanced over at me. Finally. "This is for y/n."

The crowd screamed as Jake played the first few notes. Those notes were my favorite sounds ever, the sounds that came from a song so special to me. Those notes brought tears to my eyes faster than I could ever imagine.

"If I get murdered in the city," he sang, making me smile.

"Don't go revengin in my name
One person dead from such is plenty
No need to go get locked away..."

Murder in the City made me feel at home. It made me think of family, of my childhood... it always brought me to tears no matter where it was played. But the fact that Jake is dedicating this song to me, and he is singing it in front of hundreds of people makes me feel so special and loved...

"When I leave your arms
The things that I think of
No need to get over alarmed,
I'm comin' home."

"I wonder which brother is better
Which one our parents love the most,"

"Josh sure did get in lots of trouble," he sang, making the audience laugh, as well as myself.

"They seem to let the others go
A tear fell from my father's eyes
I wondered what my dad would say
He said I love you and I'm proud of you all
in so many different ways."

"If I get murdered in the city
Go read the letter in my desk
Don't worry with all my belongings
But pay attention to the list..."

"Make sure my sister knows I loved her
Make sure my mother knows the same
Always remember, there was nothing worth sharing
Like the love that let us share our name,"

I sobbed. This was the part of the song that would always get to me. The love that let us share our name.

"Always remember, there was nothing worth sharing
Like the love that let us share our name."

I cried like I never have before, Josh putting his arm around my shoulders as Jake played the ending of the special song. The audience screamed so loud, but in that moment, the only thing that mattered to me was Jake. And my family. And everyone in my life.

He motioned for me to join him on the stage, but I violently shook my head no, gesturing to my tear-stained face. However, Josh pushed me into the stage. I was blinded by lights and screams as I made my way to Jake. He handed his guitar to somebody dressed in black so he could hug me.

"What was that for?" I loudly asked him.

"You'll see," he smiled. My heart was beating out of my chest. And as if no more tears were able to come out of my eyes, he grabbed a box from his pocket and kneeled down, one knee on the stage.

I felt like my heart was beating loud enough for the rumbling audience to hear. I slightly heard him say it, but I perfectly saw saw him mouthing it. He asked, "Y/n, will you marry me?" As he opened the box to reveal a beautiful diamond ring.

I immediately nodded my head and screamed "Yes!" As my face soaked in tears. He slid the ring on my left ring finger and stood up to bring me into a kiss. I looked out at the crowd, seeing and hearing them all. Jake proposed to me in front of all those people. And he sang. He never does that. And if that's not true love, I don't know what is.

He escorted me off the stage as we waved to the audience. I saw everybody smiling as I approached them, but I just turned to Jake and kissed him.

"You're the best thing that's ever happened to me," I said to him.

"Me too, y/n. Me too..." he chuckled.

"Alright love birds," Josh interrupted. "We got an encore to do." I laughed and kissed Jake one more time before he ran back onto the stage.

As he played those last couple songs, he practically started at me the entire time. My heart fluttered over and over again as I replayed that moment in my head.

Always remember there was nothing worth sharing like the love that let us share our name.

———

THIS IS LITERAL ASSSSSS BUT I FUCKING LOVE THIS SONG SO DEAL WITH IT