22 - Trepidation

After making eye contact, and receiving your challenging stare, the pair exchanged an uncertain glance. Their disconcerted expressions filled you with a sense of satisfaction, for it meant that they were expecting a more timid and frightened demeanour from their abductee.

That they were underestimating you.

As the distance between you and the door reduced, a thought struck you. How were you going to defend yourself? You were going to an unknown area and be in the company of dangerous men, two of whom were right in front of you. What if they planned to knock you out once you got there? Or what if they knock you out the second you stepped outside?

You stopped. 'A weapon. I need a weapon.'

But what weapon? You had none in your possession. Perhaps you could stab them with a pen, if the situation called for it, but you left it in the satchel bag that remained in your room. There was also the common kitchen on the hotel's second floor, usable by all its patrons and chock-full of knives, but it closed an hour ago.

However, that also begged the question of what would happen if your weapon was discovered. Or, if you were to injure a thug, would it truly incapacitate them? Like in many action movies you watched, where the protagonist wounds their abductor and attempts to run away, would they break into a chase after you and put you in a much worse state as a way of punishment?

They would, without a doubt.

With you stationed only a few feet away from the door, engrossed in your reflections, the men outside shot you a questioning glance. Impatience filled the shorter man, as he returned to his obnoxious tapping.

The precipitous noise made you blink back into reality. Rapidly moving their arms back and forth, they urgently gestured for you to hurry up. While their bodies moved along with their appendages, you suddenly noticed the glint of a knife in each of their pant pockets.

No, you couldn't let yourself be defenceless like this.

"Wait a minute," you mouthed to them. Swivelling on your heel, you sprinted into the hallway and muted out the antsy knocks behind you, growing softer and softer.

You burst through the door. The sight of the extravagant mess chafed your nerves but you ignored it.

'First, my coat and pen.' You bent down and grabbed your coat, slipping into it and adjusted the collar. You then reached forward and flicked open the satchel bag. Clutching the pen, you tucked it inside your hidden inner coat pocket for easy access. 'What next?'

Fastidiously scanning the cluttered premises, you spotted your phone nearby and wasted no time in placing it inside your hidden pocket. Unable to find another suitable weapon that you could conceal, you stepped out into the hallway again.

You glanced down and saw your hands shaking. Raising them to your central vision only worsened the tremors.

'What's this? Why are they- No, I'm not scared. I'm not scared! This...this is nothing.' You gulped. '...Nothing like what I've dealt with before, that is. But never mind that.'

Returning them to your sides while clenching them tightly, you sucked in a breath and made your way back to the front entrance.

Careful not to provoke the bell, you turned the handle and slowly opened the door, slipping out through the small gap. Once you stepped onto the front porch, you closed the door behind you with a soft click. Honestly, you wanted to make as much noise as possible, to alert the hotel staff and patrons of your danger. But considering the unpredictable nature of these loan sharks, you had no idea what consequences pulling a move like that would incur.