The Meddlers

Romance was in the air that spring and as flowers blossomed around us, there was a harmonious feeling surrounding the manor as though our garden was also finally blooming for the first time in ages. Rehearsals for the play had commenced weeks earlier and after the initial feeling of wanting to rip my eyes from their sockets, the play was coming together nicely...well...it was coming together anyway. It wasn't to the quality of a Noel Coward but it was good enough for the local community and I was surprised I was pleasantly calm about the whole matter.

Eleanor was flourishing in the role of the now-named maid, Dotty, and as life imitated art, a young man in the village had caught her eye, prompting us nosy four at the manor to step in and set the wheels in motion for a romance off-stage as well as on. The young man was a charming fellow named Christopher Marks, probably but twenty-one-years of age and with a smile that could rival George's. His dimples were the talk of the town and nearly every young lady's head had been turned by this handsome youth. But what sealed the deal was that to add to his exterior gifts he was also incredibly nice, modest and hard-working. She was smitten and though she was as pretty and delicate as a daisy, he had his pick of many girls. We were determined to make sure that our Eleanor was his choice. It's not that we were interfering per se, more that something had come to my attention during rehearsals. I had caught Eleanor alone upon the stage, staring ahead.

"Is there something wrong?" I had asked, hoping she wasn't losing interest in her leading role.

"Oh, no, sorry, Sir. I was in a right trance. The play's got me thinking."

I laughed. "Good job we don't really have a footman for you to liaise with eh?"

She smiled politely but there was a sudden hint of sadness in her eyes.

I gently touched her shoulder. "Are you sure you're alright?"

"Yeah, I just got thinking 'bout things that are never gonna happen. Your words are so beautiful, Sir. No man will ever say those kinds of words to me."

A tear fell down her cheek and I was uncomfortable around crying women so I once again gently tapped her shoulder. She was looking up at me with large watery eyes, like a little deer and my heart was lost to her. I wanted to protect this innocent creature. As I comforted her with my hand rubbing her shoulder gently, I caught a glimpse of her father standing by the door, waiting for her.

Eleanor quickly wiped her eyes with her sleeve and then hopped off the stage to greet him. I watched as they linked arms. Her tears had her in my thoughts all that night.

...

In the garden the next morning I told Sophia of Eleanor's worries to which she immediately informed me that she was a marvellous matchmaker and could have Eleanor and Christopher paired up in no time at all. I was dubious so asked her of her credentials and experience (after all matchmaking was a tricky business) to which she assured me she had set-up three of her siblings with their respective partners. It was rather impressive if one ignored the fact that her brother and his wife were always throwing priceless vases at one another.

"This is so exciting!" Sophia cooed, clasping her hands together.

What had I unleashed?

George and Meg arrived behind us on the lawn.

"What's exciting?" Meg asked, taking her arm from George and linking it through Sophia's.

"Sophia has it in her mind that her matchmaking genius can bring Eleanor and young Christopher together."

"Who's young Christopher?" George asked.

"A boy from the village shop. He's perfect for her and I have quite the flair for matchmaking," she said.