18

Leo's pov

We couldn't tell any outsiders about Josie's disappearance. My father agreed that it would put her in too much risk if the Kaen found out about her connection with me. With John's existing hate for the Alpha's bloodline, it just felt stupid to announce it to the whole pack. Only those who were directly involved knew, people in the house and the wolves recruited to help us.

We might just lose her forever if the whole pack found out the truth – which is that she is my mate. The Kaen just might feel threatened and hurt her. Everyone knew the best way to take down an Alpha or any werewolf at that was to go after their mate. Our mates were truly our only weakness.

So far, we believed that she was taken because of who she is - his daughter - rather than the future Luna and we planned to keep it that way.

The game plan was on. In just a few hours we were going to save Josie. The whole pack house was going crazy with the preparations. My dad had been making calls all day because this wasn't just another rescue mission.

Firstly – my mate was the victim, the pack's future Luna. Secondly – we were going against the Kaen, a group of rogues that have been giving my family problems for as long as I can remember. This was a mission against an old enemy and we did not have any other choice than to be successful.

I was currently stuck in my room with a guilty looking Ian standing by the door. My father ordered me to stay in my room until it was time to go, and Ian was unfortunately ordered by his father to watch over me. Apparently I wasn't having enough control over my wolf lately. I had even lashed out at my father, who very quickly put me back in my place.

I didn't know what was happening, it didn't feel like I was losing control – it was more like certain things would make my wolf tick. Alphas were known for their ability to handle their emotions. It was in our nature to act on pure instinct but it was very bad for an Alpha to act carelessly, even more the Alpha's successor.

All staying in my room was doing was to make me feel anxious. I needed to be out there with everybody else. I knew my father well and he was not only preparing to rescue her but he was getting ready to fight, a perfect chance to finally take the Kaen down.

"If you keep thinking so hard, you'll drill a hole into the ground," Ian commented.

"That's not such a bad idea," I thought out loud.

"You're too much, how's your wolf doing. Still acting up?" He asked not moving from his position by the door.

My wolf grunted in response, telling me how displeased he was.

I rubbed my hands down my face. "I don't know what's wrong with him, he never acts this way. Maybe it's all the built up stress, and this full moon isn't helping"

My first full moon since I met Josie. It was ridiculous, I knew nothing about her. We never hung out. I didn't know what her favourite colour was, who her friends were, what she liked to eat. I knew so little and yet I was willing to do everything for her. We were supposed to spend today together. The more I thought of her the more I wanted to barge right through that door and go find her myself. I quickly snapped myself out of it. Maybe something was wrong.

"Just try to calm down, you know your dad is good with these things" my best friend managed to say, I'm sure he could sense my wolf.

Before I could say anything, there was a gentle knock on the door. Ian opened the door and I could smell who it was before she came into view.

Josie's mom.

She stayed right outside of my door and I was grateful for her thoughtfulness. Adriaan was never good with new people coming into my room and I wasn't sure how he'd react right now with the current situation.

"Your father asked me to bring you this tea, said it might help with your – uh" she struggled a bit for the right words. "It'll help"

She passed it onto Ian who handed it to me. I held it close to my face, inhaling the scent. It was amazing. Something I realized about my future mother in law was that she knew everything about herbs, she was incredible. Everything about her was just so kind and warm, traits I could only imagine my mate had. I could already feel my wolf relaxing.

It was because of her that we were able to find where the Kaen were situated, she somehow reversed what they had used to hide their scent. Thanks to her we were able to locate Josie.

"Thank you." I thanked her, sipping the tea.

"No thank you, you and your father are doing so much for me, this is the least I can do" she quickly said.

"I'm sure my father has told you many times, you are already a part of this family"

"I know, but please understand my position, it's not easy to absorb all of this especially when my daughter is still missing" she said, her eyes not meeting mine.

"You've played the biggest part in all of this, because of you we know where to go to find her" I reassured her.

She smiled sadly, I could see that the past few days had taken a toll on her. As far as I was concerned, Josie was all she had. I of course had so many questions, like why Josie's father was a crazy man, if she and Josie's father were true mates, and if they were- how were they surviving being apart. I had long back decided that it was better not to ask, it wasn't my place to ask a grown woman about her past. What she had done for us was more than enough.

"I'll leave you to it then" she nodded kindly, she turned to leave, but she stopped when I called out to her.

"We'll bring her back to you." I promised her. She sighed, a small smile gracing her features.

"He won't hurt her," she said softly. "He's many things, but he won't hurt his own," and then she left.

There was a long silence in the room before Ian decided to break it.

"Well that was something huh," he crossed his arms, seemingly deep in thought.

I on the other hand could only hope that it was the truth, it was the only comfort I had at the moment. After my tea was finished, my wolf felt more at ease. I was grateful for the relief since it would be time to go soon.

The sun was already gone by the time my father came in to alert us that everything was ready. I jumped up, adrenaline already bursting through my veins. I followed my father to the back of the pack house, where we'd be leaving through the forest.

I stopped dead in my tracks when I saw the number of wolves all ready to fight. I stole a glance at Ian and he had the same look on his face. My father was not a good enemy to have.

"Woah" Ian awed.

"Tonight is a very important day for all of us, all of you know about our current situation. The future of this pack hangs in the balance. The Kaen have been tormenting this pack for far too long, and now that they have someone who is very important to us, we have no other choice than to fight. Stay close and only attack when I give the order. Remember, the girl is our priority so do what is necessary to get her back." My father's voice echoed.

No words would amount to how much I looked up to him. My father was the greatest example of a leader and I admired him so much. He was fair, and that's why so many were willing to risk their lives to serve him.

"Protect each other. Be courageous. It is our honor to fight for the Alpha." Lucas, our Beta added after my father. The whole crowd cheered and howled.

I had always loved fighting beside my father and with the full moon on our side – I knew it was going to be a victorious night.