4. The Magnificent Heist

-Blake-

-Blake-

When the sun was setting on Friday night, I started getting ready for the Simmons to leave. I was hiding on the hill, packing my backpack and erasing every trail of my existence from that place. I wouldn't be staying there any longer. I had run out of food that morning, but I ignored my growling stomach as I continued watching the family.

At the same time, the family was getting ready for the opera. Mrs. Simmons was in her dressing room, selecting a set of diamond earrings and a matching necklace to go with her simple black knee-length dress. I smiled at the sight of all the shiny diamonds in her drawers – and she had plenty of them. Mr. Simmons was there with her, wearing a nice tuxedo. They both looked elegant, sophisticated, and happy to get out of the house.

"What a cute couple," I chuckled, when Mr. and Mrs. Simmons exchanged a light peck.

I turned my binoculars to search for the two daughters. The younger one had a dress that resembled the one her mother was wearing. She was already waiting for her parents in their living room. But the older one...

"Where are you, Joyce..." I muttered as I kept peering through the windows. I had learned her name quickly – that name was being yelled a lot in that household.

"Are you wearing that to the opera?" I muttered with a frown when I finally spotted her.

She was wearing denim shorts and a tight tank top!

"She's not going... Fuck!" I hissed in disappointment and tossed the binoculars to the ground.

I was right. When Mr. and Mrs. Simmons stepped out of their front door with their younger daughter, Jamie, Joyce was still in her bedroom, lying on her bed and reading a magazine.

"No, no, no, no! Take her with you! Ugh!" I rubbed my temples and sighed.

I watched their car leaving the driveway without their older daughter. I couldn't believe my plan had failed because of a teenager who refused to spend time with her family.

"Hold on..." I muttered and grabbed the binoculars again.

Joyce had run to the window and was now watching her parents driving off. After that, she ran to her closet and hastily changed her clothes. My smile returned when I saw her grabbing a bottle of vodka under a thick pile of clothes.

"Sneaking out again, huh...?" I muttered.

I was right again. Soon, Joyce climbed out of the same window I was going to use to sneak in. And she left it unlocked! She couldn't close it from the outside!

"Good girl..." I muttered excitedly as she started making her way down the vine I was planning on using to get up.

After she disappeared into the forest, I waited for around ten minutes before getting up. Once I was sure she was far away, I pulled down my ski mask to cover my face. It made me feel like a supervillain. A professional.