20: First Date

I woke the next morning with purpose, preparing everything I needed for Cary's and my first date. I didn't know what to wear, and spent all morning trying on clothes. I tried on all of my nice, buttondown shirts, but none of them felt natural. I just wanted something casual. I ended up settling for my usual t-shirt and jeans. Hey, if it's not broke, don't fix it, right? I don't think Cary will mind... With that I got in my car and set off with excitement.

        "Hey, Dominik," I entered Dominik's apartment, making a beeline for Cary's room.

"Hey, Jesse. Shouldn't you be at school right now?" Dominik was in the kitchen frying up breakfast. "I don't care, but your teacher might," he shrugged.

"Shhh. I'm here to surprise Cary," I whispered, tiptoeing towards the bedroom.

But as I reached for the door, Dominik interrupted me. "Wait a second. Jesse, come here a moment. I need to talk to you about something," he said and motioned me towards him.

Furrowing a brow, I leaned over the counter. "What's up?"

He leaned in to whisper in my ear, "You better treat him right. I won't let you break his heart." His words were heavy and threatening. Dominik pulled away and stared into my eyes. His gaze was burning. "If you're messing around, then it's best that you leave right now."

I couldn't say anything as I was frozen in shock from Dominik's sudden change in personality. This guy always seems so laidback so where did the dark atmosphere come from?

"Hey, Jesse. What are you doing here?" I broke eye contact with Dominik to see Cary standing in the doorframe of the bedroom.

"Hey, I came to surprise you. Surprise!"

Cary smiled at me. "Shouldn't you be in school right now?" His deep blue eyes were tender as he gently squeezed my hand.

His hand is so warm... Holding it feels somehow different than before.

"I'm playing hooky. I thought we'd go out instead," I smiled.

"Okay, but just this once. I don't want you missing anymore school because of me."

"Deal," I said, leading him towards the door.

"Cary, are you going to have breakfast before you leave?" Dominik was still behind the counter.The dark atmosphere around him had vanished just as quickly it had appeared.

"No thanks. I'll pass this time," Cary waved and we were off.

"So where are we going?"

"It's a secret," I said, helping Cary into the car.

Cary chuckled. "Judging by the basket in the back seat, I'd guess we're having picnic in the park."

"Dammit, it's supposed to be a surprise!" I laughed. "Stop being such a smartass!"

Cary laughed too. "You've really changed lately." His deep blue eyes seemed to penetrate through me like always.

"Really? Have I?" That's weird. I don't think I've changed.

"Definitely. The Jesse David I used to know would never swear, or skip school for that matter."

I furrowed my brow. That's right. I suppose wouldn't have... Just the fact that I'm even dating another guy is amazing considering how I was so deep in the closet... When did I open up so much? When did I become so reckless?

"Not that it's a bad thing. I think you're better this way. I feel like you're showing me your true side," he smiled.

"Uh, yeah. I think so too," I smiled and backed out of the parking lot, slightly disturbed and not wanting to admit, I'm probably like this because of Mr. Elliot...