Chapter 8

"Hi Hagen, hi Jolgier," I say as I hop off the second to last step.  Jolgier grunts a hello and Hagen smiles politely.

"May I ask what brings you here, m'lady?" Hagen takes my hand and gives it a firm shake.

"Official Allfather business."  I wiggle my eyebrows and reach for the door handle.  I stop when Jolgier's sword comes flying down and smacks against the door.  "Geez!  Sorry!  I was joking, god...s."

"My apologies," Jolgier mutters and returns to his place.

"I was just bored and the person I normally hang out with has classes."  I plop down on the base of a pillar.  "What's up?"

Hagen glances above him then gives me a weird look.  "I do not understand.  The sky?  The ceiling?"

I snort, trying not to laugh.  "No, no—" I clear my throat and push down the rest of my laughter.  "On Midgard we have a bunch of weird sayings.  I didn't noticed how weird they were until I came here."

"Oh.  Well...what does 'what's up' mean?" he asks.  Out of the corner of my eye I see Jolgier look at me.

Welcome to Weird Midgardian Sayings with Freya Ericsson! 

"It means 'what are you doing' or 'what've you been doing,'" I say. 

Hagen nods.  "I see.  What other strange alternatives do Midgardians have for perfectly acceptable ways of saying things?"

"Um... They all sound normal to me so I can't think of any.  Uh."  I think for a moment.  "What do you think 'the elephant in the room' means?"

"What is an elephant?" Hagen asks.

"Oh my god," I mutter under my breath, then louder, "It's a type of animal.  Just think of any really big creature and insert it into the phrase."

"Well, alright."  He frowns and stares at something off in the distance, thinking.  "Does it possibly mean that there is just an abnormally large creature in a room?  That makes no sense.  How could you possibly get it in?  Is it a large room?  Does it have a large door?  How—"

"No, it's a figure of speech.  It's not literal."  I look at Jolgier.  "Do you know?"

He shakes his head.

"It refers to something that people don't want to talk about.  For example, people don't talk about the portal closing when I'm around.  Therefore it is the elephant in the room." 

"That is very odd," Jolgier murmurs.

"Yup.  Do you guys want to learn more about Midgard or should we take it one phrase at a time?"  I get up and stand in front of them, ready to be a teacher.

"No, please.  Go on."  Hagen extends a hand towards me.

For the next two and a half hours I explain as many phrases as I can.  At one point we get into politics and Hagen says how our government sounds '...interesting...' and Jolgier—who actually started talking—says how it, and I quote, 'does not seem functional.'  And I didn't even say much about it.  When I ask about this, they admit it's because they did not want to say something that could come out against their government or belittling towards the Allfather.  They must know his punishment techniques.

We talked and laughed the whole time.  Hagen and I did most of the laughing, though at one point, Jolgier let a smile slip (We're making progress!).  Within the thirty minutes leading up to the three hour mark, I have taught them about all the weird fads like what the Harlem Shake and Gangnam Style are and talked in extent about The Lord of the Rings.