Chapter Seven

We walked in silence for a while. I kept thinking about his words, about my demons. I never liked confronting people. I always avoided difficult situations. At the end of the day, despite not being sure about coming to England, it had been easier to travel halfway across the world than tell my father that Sonya had slept with my fiancé.

Baby steps, Em. Baby steps.

I needed to talk to Mom, and then I'd talk to Dad. He would have to know eventually, because I didn't intend to spend any holidays with Sonya around. I wouldn't make him choose, but he needed to know why I couldn't stand the sight of her.

We reached the trees and my house was closer now. I still wanted to flee and avoid talking to my mother, but I had to go through it. That's what I came for. But I also knew my time with Scott would end in a few minutes, and I would probably never see him again.

"What were you doing at the pub?" I asked, desperately trying to prolong the time I was spending with him.

He chuckled. "Drinking a beer?"

"On your own?"

His lips twitched as he suppressed a smile. "It's funny. I didn't want to be on my own, so I went to the bar. Alone."

"You didn't seem to be socializing much at the pub." In a way, I knew exactly how he felt. Even surrounded by people, you could feel alone.

"I wasn't." He grimaced. "When you're a public figure, you must be careful with what you do and what you say. You never know when it could come back to haunt you."

I opened my mouth, then closed it. "Then why did you talk to me?"

"I don't know," he admitted. "I just couldn't keep away, and I had the urge to help you." My heart started to race; I touched my throat as he took a step closer. He raised his hand and brushed a strand of hair away from my eyes. "Truth be told, I couldn't keep away after you asked me to be Scott, without the prince title. It's the first time someone asks me this."

Having him so close made me dizzy. It was hard to breathe, but at the same time, I didn't want him to step away. "I meant it. I don't know how to treat royalty."

His lips curved once more. "I like it. It's a rare thing. One that I'm not ready to let go." My pulse accelerated. "Are you staying here for long? It would be nice to meet again." My lips parted as he took out his phone and gave it to me. "Can you type in your number?"

"Sure." My hand trembled a little as I typed before giving it back to him. "Come on, my house is not far away." Without thinking, I grabbed his hand and started walking. A second later, I widened my eyes. I didn't know what made me grab his hand, so I started to let go of it, but he tightened his grip. I couldn't complain. It felt nice, his touch was warm and electrifying at the same time, and I wasn't sure I wanted to let go either.

The trees disappeared behind us, and I could see Gram's house ahead. Scott's touch brought some sense of comfort too. And I needed a friend, even one as unconventional as him.

We reached the front door, and he squeezed my hand before letting go. I felt like a teen all over again, crushing on a guy I just had met.

I rang the bell, and Mom appeared behind the door a moment later. Her gaze traveled from Scott to me, back and forth. "Oh my! Your Royal Highness?" she asked with uncertainty.

Scott shook his head. "Please, just call me Scott." He locked eyes with me for a second, a small smile playing on his lips.

Mom moved to let us in. "You're both sodden! Please get inside."

"I'll be leaving in a moment, madam."

"Oh, don't call me madam. My name is Sophie," Mom said. He nodded, and we took our shoes off at the entrance. "I'll put on the kettle, and I'll also get you a towel." Without waiting for an answer, she disappeared inside the kitchen.