Chapter Ten

“Can I drive?”

            “No.”

            “Can I drive now?”

            “No, Noah.”

            “Can I drive… now?”

            I briefly turned to shoot Noah a glare. “No, Noah. Now don’t ask again.”

            He pouted at me, crossing his arms. “Aren’t you tired?”

            “Noah, keep talking and you’re sitting in the back.”

            “Sounds like a plan to me,” a grumpy voice commented from behind me. I glanced in the rear-view mirror to see Rian glaring at Noah.

            Chloe snickered. “Noah won the front seat fair and square.”

            “And you guys nearly broke my door during the process,” I muttered, rolling my eyes.

            The fight between Noah, Rian, and Luke for shotgun had actually been really amusing, if you ignored the part about almost yanking my door off. Every time one of them would sit in the seat, another would pull that person back out, and the one standing by would hop in. And so it went on. For ten minutes straight. It was especially funny when Luke kicked Rian straight in the face. A smirk slipped onto my face as I remembered Rian’s shocked expression.

            “I think Luke should sit in front,” Luke commented casually, covering his mouth with his hand. After he said that, he looked around with a pleased expression. “Who said that?”

            Chloe laughed again, giving Luke and amused smile. “I do believe you did, Luke.”

            “Nah,” he responded with a grin. “Whoever did say that is pretty awesome.”

            “Are we almost there?” Rian demanded, obviously not amused by the other two.

            I checked the clock on my radio. “Like ten minutes.”

            “Can we stop at Dunkin’ Donuts?”

            “No, Rian.”

            “I’ll buy you a doughnut.”

            Without warning I veered to the left, pulling into the little plaza that held a McDonald’s, Dunkin’ Donuts, Ocean State Job Lot, and a few others smaller stores. Rian smirked smugly in the backseat while I felt my face heat up, ashamed that I had been bribed so easily. But I couldn’t help it. Doughnuts were good and I was hungry.

            As soon as I parked the car, Luke, Noah, and Rian all immediately climbed out, not even waiting for Chloe and I before heading towards the building. Chloe raised an eyebrow and I rolled my eyes, pushing open my car door. Before the boys entered the store, I called them to a halt.

            “What?” Rian questioned in an impatient tone.

            “Are you guys just going to walk in there?”

            Luke turned to me with a confused expression. “That’s what you’re supposed to do…”

            Rian sniggered and I gave them both a flat look. “You guys are famous. Won’t you be like, attacked, or something?”

            A short bark of laughter left Luke’s lips. “Aw, Iris, are you worried?”

            “Kind of,” I admitted. If their fans mowed them down, it’d take forever it order to get back to my house. And I really didn’t want to waste any more time.