Chapter 7: The Test

A wave of panic rushed through Y/N's body as the lynel drew its sword. Its evil red eyes bore into her with an animosity of which she had never witnessed before. It shook her to her very core, yet she kept mentally reminding herself that she would be safe with Revali. After all, her life was now in his hands if she couldn't use her power.

The beast roared loudly, which echoed throughout the land before charging towards her, and swinging its sword just a little too early. She narrowly avoided being sliced in two. By this time, Revali was high up in the air, watching the scene unfold. But if she struggled too much, he was ready to come to her aide.

A small window of opportunity emerged and Y/N found herself mounting the lynel. It seethed with rage and began jumping frantically in the air to buck her off whilst she vigorously stabbed its back. She was then tossed onto the snowy ground whilst the lynel readied its sword once more. Before she was able to get to her feet, it was looking over her. She let out a terrified scream, anticipating her life to come to its end, when suddenly, the lynel shrieked and fell backwards. Its remains slumped onto the ground, alongside topaz and other rare gems as well as the weapon it had been carrying.

Revali was standing there proudly, as he put away his Great Eagle Bow. He approached Y/N and offered his wing to help her stand up, yet she shook her head furiously. Revali, confused as to why she would reject him like this, shot her a puzzled look. She struggled to her own feet, and once she found her bearings, she wasted no time in laying in to the bird.

'Was that fun? Watching me almost get cut open?!' She snapped, taking him by surprise. He stepped back a little.

'No! If it was, I wouldn't have glided in to save you,'

'Can you cut the crap for just five damn minutes?! You knew how dangerous those things were, yet you STILL put my life at risk! Do you just want me to die?! Is that it?!'

'No, Y/N of course not! I wanted to be able to witness you using your power so I would know how you truly felt for -,'

'Shut up, Revali! Just shut up! You've been nothing but rude to me since the beginning and now it's clear what your intentions are! If you really wanted me to die THAT BADLY, you could've just told me to jump off of a cliff and I would've done so. My life is nothing to me anyway.'

And with that, she pushed past the now lost-for-words Revali, and stormed back to Rito Village.

~~~~~

When she entered the inn sobbing, this took Chima by surprise. So much so that she rushed to the bed where Y/N had sat and wrapped her soft wing around her friend's shoulder.

'Y/N! Whatever is the matter? Did Revali get too much for you?'

The crying girl nodded. 'Something like that. He made me fight a lynel.'

Chima raised her eyebrows in shock. 'A LYNEL?! What?! Why in Hylia's name would he make you go up against the most ferocious creature in all of Hyrule?!'

'He wanted to see if I could use my power.'

'Power? What power?' Chima was now confused.

For the next half hour Y/N explained to Chima in great detail about her power, and how it could only work against herself and the ones she truly loved. Chima listened intently before coming up with a suggestion.

'Well, Y/N, maybe Revali's intentions weren't as bad as they seemed,'

The girl now looked the Rito in the eyes. 'What are you saying?'

'Well, you say your power will only work when either yourself or someone you loved was in danger, right?'

'Right.'

'Well maybe this was a test. A test that he could use to determine how you really feel for him.'

'What do you mean?'

'I mean, he's obviously got feelings for you, Y/N. I could see that from the second you guys walked in here. He's been running around after you ever since you guys met. And I've never seen him act like that before. He just brushes everyone off and wants to live his life alone. But then he meets you, and he's like a completely different bird.'

'Revali has feelings for me?!' Y/N gasped in surprise. Perhaps this wasn't so far fetched after all. However, she wasn't ready to speak to him just yet. 'Still, that doesn't justify putting me in danger like that. I was almost killed.'

'But who ended up saving you?' Chima asked, already knowing the answer.

'He did...' Y/N responded. Immediately, everything started to fall into place.

The lynel... the power... Revali...

'He loves me, doesn't he?'

Chima nodded. 'He's completely beak over heels for you!'

'Y/N!!!' A frantic voice called as Revali burst through the inn door. 'There you are. I've been looking for you all day! You had me so worried!' She took this moment to look deep into his emerald green eyes. They were laced with concern and anguish. This expression was not akin to the way he normally acted. He seemed so... broken. There was also a mixture of relief in his eyes when he saw that she was safe. The more she looked into her eyes, the more her suspicions of his feelings were confirmed. But she wasn't ready to give in just yet.

'Go away.' She turned her back on him.

'Uhhh... I need to go and prepare some beds.' Chima said awkwardly as she tiptoed out of the room, leaving Revali and Y/N alone together.

'If you were really concerned for me, you wouldn't have let that happen.'

'I didn't allow you to be killed.' Revali protested. Then, there was an awkward silence before he finally sighed and began slowly approaching the girl. 'But I am sorry though. Deeply sorry. I was ignorant and didn't know if this was the right time - or place - to test your power. I was just so desperate to know if it would work. But I was always there in the background, ready to take on whatever beast would dare to hurt you. But I understand your anxieties were skyrocketing at that point. And there's nothing I can do now other than apologise from the bottom of my heart.'

He leaned forward, his usual salty expression now replaced with one of genuine empathy and concern. He was practically pleading for her foregiveness, however, she was still shaken from the lynel attack earlier on.

'I'll think on it. Just give me another night.' Y/N said finally. Revali nodded his head in understanding. 'I promise I won't ever put you in such terrible danger again. Tomorrow I'll look for more strategic ways to utilise your power which don't involve such great danger... that is... if you're still willing to work with me?'

'Like I said, I'll let you know tomorrow, okay, Revali? Just let me sleep on it.'

'Okay. I'll see you later. And again, I am sorry.'

Y/N smirked. 'You know, you're starting to sound like a broken record.'

Revali rolled his eyes. 'Why didn't I see that coming?'

~~~~~

That night, Y/N tossed and turned in her bed, reflecting on everything that had happened the previous day, but mostly on what Chima said. Did Revali really have feelings for her? Is that why he wanted her to use her power against the lynel? And what she had said to him... would she really jump off a cliff upon his request? Or was that just said in the heat of the moment? Did he really have that much of an impact on her?  

She decided she would quiz him on it tomorrow morning.