Clandestine War

"I would rather walk with a friend in the dark, than alone in the light." – Hellen Keller

"So, how was it?"

"How was what?"

Kai chuckled as his eyes met Jennie's felines, "The Halloween party last Friday."

"Oh," Jennie muttered softly as Kai studied her. "It was not what I expected."

"How so?"

"Some kid puked on me and the whole thing was awfully loud for my taste."

"Rain, loud parties, what else don't you like?" Kai teased.

"Annoying juniors who asks my help for their Korean History class," Jennie retorted with a grin across her face, to which Kai groaned. "I don't understand why you're even asking me when I'm a sophomore."

"Simple," Kai replied as he tapped his pencil. "Because you're beautiful."

Jennie shoved him playfully as she looked away, earning her a light chuckle from Kai, who appears to be enjoying it. Jennie just rolled her eyes at him and continued her work; it was a quite a warm Sunday and also the day of the dead tomorrow, which meant there were not much students around.

Most of them had gone home yesterday and would return by Tuesday due to Monday being a holiday. Jennie sighed and wondered why Kai did not return to his family; instead, he was with Jennie in the cafeteria on the first floor studying.

"What time did you get home, Friday?"

Jennie raised her lowered gaze to Kai, "Around nine, I think. I slept straight away after a shower."

Kai rested his chin on his palm, "You're such a good girl."

Jennie raised a brow, "And what's that supposed to mean?"

"Nothing," Kai replied as he wrote a sentence down on his paper. "Just curious as to why you don't have a boyfriend."

"Do I need to have one?" Jennie queried as she returned her gaze to her Pre-Calculus homework.

"No, but," Kai hesitated as Jennie eyed him curiously. A smile formed on his lips as he shook his head. "No never mind."

Jennie just eyed him as he did his work; the smile on his face remained as if there was something he kept from her. But what is it? Jennie didn't know or wish to know. Kai was handsome and charming, she admitted. But Jennie just has no interest in what he wanted.

The idea of having a boyfriend may be foreign to her, but she was not blind to his hints. Although she would wish that her thoughts were untrue. She would prefer to believe that Kai just wants to be friends and nothing more than that.

She just doesn't want a relationship – especially with Lisa around. She might just kill the guy Jennie would date. Would she?

"What about you?" Jennie queried as Kai shot his eyes up to her, a little surprised by her question. "Why don't you have a girlfriend?"

Kai smiled warmly as he took a deep breath, "It's complicated."

"It can't be worse than my pre-calc homework," Jennie laughed as he chuckled, but she could see it from his eyes that he had something he wanted to say, but didn't want to. "But really, what could go wrong?"

Kai shook his head, "It's not that easy, Jennie."

Jennie rested her cheek on her palm, "Do you like anyone?"