The beggining of work. Chapter 2

Elizabeth’s Point of view    

It was fairly cold outside, and I was not a big fan of it. My mom was livid to find out about the jelly doughnut incident whereas I found it funny. Well today just so happened to be the day I started community service. I was dreading it. I mean for one I HATED hospitals and for another it is going to be work. Great fun.

    “Elizabeth.” My mother shouted at

    “Grrr.” I replied and walked out of my room

    You see I didn’t like my hair up. Guess what? This “job” required my hair pulled up! I was angry.

    My mom looks at me. Her face wrinkled and her blue eyes angry and sad. Her long blonde hair falling in waves. “lets go.” she sighed

    “Yep.” I nodded and added to myself “Let’s go to a place where it smells like cleaner and stale person.”

    We walked out to the car. I got in and we drove awhile to the hospital. The ride was long and silent. I swear I could hear my moms anger and tension waves. I looked out the window as a blur of trees went by. I spotted the hospital. I knew from the moment I stepped in my freedom was going to be gone, like…like the time I ran from that cop. I was gone so quick it’d make your head spin. That was like my freedom. We parked in the parking lot. I saw a elderly women sitting on a wheelchair enjoying the cold air. I snorted in disappointment.

    “I got to go to work, take this note to the hospital staff. Elizabeth I swear you run I will call the cops and have them put you in jail.” She stared at me her tone serious. It may seem harsh but I suppose I would’ve deserved that.

    “Yes mother.” I said blankly and grab the note stuffed it in my pocket and walked to the front door. My natural instinct kicked in. Run Run RUN! But I didn’t want to go to jail. I was to smart for that. I walked inside and the odor hit me….like…..like I don’t know. But you know what I mean. It smelled like heavy duty cleaner and I don’t know how to explain it. You know hospital smell. The lobby was bland. I mean bland! It was gray and white with gray little chairs. The floor was white tile and the walls were gray dotted with little note saying. “Please wash your hands. Thank you.” It was like a horrible old black and white movie. I hated it.

    “Mr. Nerio?” A voice sounded behind me. A female voice.

    I turn around to see a lady in a nurse suit with red hair pulled into a bun and blue eyes. She was about 20. She was slender and really nice. “Yes?”

    “I need your slip.” She says half smirking

    “Oh.” I take it out and hand it to her. “Right.”  I shifted on my feet as she read.

    “Okay. Your sweeper for now. Go to the cafeteria and in the supply closet there is a broom. Get to work no slacking. Darius will help you.” She says quickly and to the point “Oh. My names Carmen.”

    “Elizabeth.” I state.

    “Well Elizabeth get to work. The cafeteria is to the right.” She said and turned on her heels and walked away.

    “Right.” I nodded and whispered to myself looking down. “to the right.”

    I turned right. I walked down the hall. My shoes made that annoying clicking noise. I heard TV on in the rooms. I heard talking. I heard the constant beeping of machines. It annoyed me. I concentrated on the walls. Room 306, room 305, Room304, Cafeteria, Room 303. Wait cafeteria!

    I pace back. I opened the door. It was empty except for three people. A hefty man, probably the janitor, who has a beer belly and a shaved head. A little boy with a hat on and a boy abut my age playing checkers on a table. I didn’t pay attention to the little boy and the other boy.

    “Excuse me. Who’s Darius?” I asked

    “Me.” the man said in a deep voice. He walked up to me. He smelled like soap.

    “I’m supposed to sweep?” I asked half stated.

    “Oh….” He paused. He walked past me and towards a closet. He opened it a pulled out a broom. “Here. Then after your done mop.”

    “Okay.” I nodded slowly. I grasped the broom and sighed softly.

    I started to sweep from the corner of the room. Left, right. The broom made a swooshing sound. It hurt my ear. The man, Darius left. I was sweeping. I heard laughter coming from the table with the two boys. I stole a small glance. They were still playing that stupid game. Ugh. Then I don’t know how but I tripped. I was sprawled on the floor. My face burned as I heard laughter. I looked up slightly. To see the older boy with golden blonde  hair and bright green eyes. He was smiling and laughing a little bit.

    His face was elfish and sweet. His eyes wide and green, his teeth amazingly white and straight. My face burned.

    “Need some help up?” His voice soft and cheery and he stuck his hand out at me.

    Little did I know that simple gesture was my lifeline, my saving moment. That little gesture was the beginning of a amazing friendship.