XXII : Ela

Ela paused before the vast mirror of her dorm, chewing on her bottom lip as she straightened the creases of the crimson dress. It was a beautiful gown; golden flowers adorned the bodice and slowly made way for the piercing red color of the smooth skirt as they descended. Striking, she noted. Too striking.

The servant behind her jerked the laces of the embedded corset, and with a contented sigh she tied the last ones into knots. "It is a pretty dress, my lady." As she gazed at Ela's reflection, the young girl's lips drooped. "Are you certain it is fine to wear to the ball?"

Ela span around, seizing the ornament she was given to wear. A sterling cylinder with elegant twirls chiseled on its surface, and a matching pin that passed through it to secure it in place. At the tip of the silvery stick lay a miniature bird with its wings sprung out. The only sign she wasn't some Flouornan noble pillaging a Seyali ball. Ela exhaled deeply at the prospect and let the trinket slump on the servant's palm. "This is what was sent to me, so this is what I wore."

The maid sighed, slipping Ela's glossy hair inside the cylinder. When it rested high on her head in an onyx waterfall, she pushed the pin inside it. "The tailors must have gone mad." She peered at Ela through the mirror, but the girl didn't react. It's not the tailors that are crazy. It's an entire nation.

Mara was nowhere to be seen. Ela assumed that she had been briefly moved to another room so the girl could relax in a peaceful environment void of any screams and giggles and obnoxious gossip. Yet the change didn't seem so temporary anymore. So that's the plan. To isolate me. She ate alone, walked alone; she was like a ghost that haunted the Academy. A mere rumour.

And somehow, Kage's plan had worked on a small part of herself. She didn't want to be alone anymore. She just wanted things to go back to the way they were before.

Ela puckered her lips, glaring at her reflection. I can't go back now. It wasn't just a siblings' fight anymore. It was war.

As the servant trailed after Ela's rushing form in the crisp atmosphere of the evening, many students stared at the girl with gawks full of bewilderment. She could practically feel their glares on her skin; they suffocate her, stiffened her muscles. And suddenly, she couldn't muster any expression other than a contrived smile accompanied by an equally poisonous glower. She knew they were jealous. They thought she was back to her perfect life with her perfect brother in her perfect bubble.

They couldn't be more wrong.

As Ela and the servant girl reached the inner gate of the Academy, they were almost smothered by the dozens of sweaty figures gossiping nervously. All the students had been invited to the ball, as they were all considered Ela's 'acquaintances'. In reality, Ela didn't know half of them. They were just another lot of unfamiliar faces peering at her as if they were really concerned. Another horde of rumour-hungry gossipmongers.

Ela dragged the clear embroidered cloak the servant had placed over her shoulders closed and tried to contain a shiver. The atmosphere had only turned more chilly with all the gazes glued on her.

Before her, she detected a dark blue and raven coach. On it rested Kage in his black uniform, with small azure details around the waist and the collar.

Ela's fists clamped tight for a moment, and then slackened. Remember the plan. Don't let your rage show.

The girl walked hesitantly toward her brother, her venomous scowl not fleeing her face. Kage stared at her dress through slender eyes. It was clear a storm was raging behind his amber irises, and the sudden tensing of his jaw didn't escape Ela's meticulous gaze. "An interesting choice of color," he stated, still regarding the crimson fabric.