Twenty-Three

A day late, but who cares! Here's an update!

* This chapter may contain grammatical errors and typos. *

* * * * * * *

As soon as I had gotten into the classroom for math class, I realized that everyone was there. Well, not everyone. Martin was missing. With a class of only nine students, it was hard to miss anyone absent.

Now that I noticed, Martin had a habit of taking days off from school out of the blue. It was the first day of senior year and he was already missing from class. I bet he wouldn’t be able to do that anymore as soon as the senior policy for this year is announced.

Because there were only nine of us in the class, the seating chart was more flexible. The teacher made it so that there was a chair in between every student to discourage us from copying each other during tests. Not that I ever would anyway. If she did that for other reasons like keeping us from talking to each other, well it’s kind of pointless. With a class as small as ours, it’s easier to track down who the blabbermouth is. Even if we all talked at the same time, it still wouldn’t make as much noise as a class of maybe thirty to forty students.

Fortunately, I was assigned a seat that had Tom facing away from me. The only horrible thing was that I sat directly behind him, which made this class even more intimidating. Not only was Tom the heartthrob of the school, but he was also smart as fûck. His only flaw would be being too lazy to use his intelligence.

Tom was highly regarded as being too smart for someone his age. He can prove his knowledge and intellect through tests and exams, but when it came to classwork, homework, or projects, he failed. This was why despite his intelligence, he was getting B’s and C’s in his classes, which I don’t understand at all.

Another one of Tom’s flaws, one for which he is known for, is his heartlessness. He may be playful with his friends, but when it comes to someone he isn’t close to, he’s awfully judgmental. In fact, he would hound someone and make fun of them for the smallest mistakes. Then again, this could probably count as one of his charms.

Like I said, I never noticed Tom much except for what I’ve heard in the some six years I’ve known him because he was out of my league. However, I remember last year while I was walking down the hallways that even the sixth graders in our school admired Tom from afar.

“You just missed him!” a little girl screeched when Tom was finally about ten feet away from them. She was really jumpy after Tom had walked passed them without even paying them any attention or glancing their way.

“Who?” another sixth grader, an Asian girl, asked as she hugged her binder close to her chest. 

“Tom!” the other girl cheered. There was a disappointed sigh from the Asian girl before she looked up and scanned the crowds. Immediately noticing Tom’s retreating form, he mouth dropped from the well-defined back of the 16-year-old.

That was something else about Tom. He’s one of the youngest guys in our grade yet he’s taller and appeared more mature than everyone else. But again, I have no chance with someone like him. He’s off limits for me because I know that even trying would only get me tangle up in another mess, which I really don’t want.